what up with the butting?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well now, with all the HEAT in Texas these days, this yungun heard how COOL it was in freezer camp and he wants to see if it is true. The thing of " he puts his on the back of my legs. He has never rammed me". Just wait a while and he WILL, and it aint goin' to be pleasant. I know, I ended up in bed, then crutches for about a month after one ram lamb gave me a " hurry up kiddo" in the back of my R knee ( torn ligament) that I never saw comming.

rockdoveranch

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bossroo said:
Well now, with all the HEAT in Texas these days, this yungun heard how COOL it was in freezer camp and he wants to see if it is true. The thing of " he puts his on the back of my legs. He has never rammed me". Just wait a while and he WILL, and it aint goin' to be pleasant. I know, I ended up in bed, then crutches for about a month after one ram lamb gave me a " hurry up kiddo" in the back of my R knee ( torn ligament) that I never saw comming.
I have a neighbor down the road that went on disability, SSDI, after being severally injured by a Barbado ram she had bottle fed. He started ramming her and would not stop. Someone in our county got killed by a cow when he went to inspect her calf. You just never know. I do not go into the ram pasture. If the rams need working, gates are opened and they find their way to the working pen where they are packed in tight.

He will go into the freezer. He will be our first lamb to go into the freezer. I have been building myself up so I will be okay with it. We have so many sheep now, it is time to start eating the lambs that we do not want to keep or sell as lambs or trophy rams. :ep

Thanks for the warning. Hope you knee recovered 100%

greenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry for reviving an older post, but I have a question about the "corrects you all were talking about with the butting. My Baby Doll ram butts, especially in the AM when I fed everyone, and I am never sure HOW to correct him. I stay away from his face (ie, no nose swats) but what should I be doing to deter him? I usually don't have a water bucket in my hand, just the grain bucket. I usually resort to whacking him in the side with my boot, which doesn't seem to help much. He isn't huge (maybe 80-90 lbs), and he doesn't have horns but when he gets a head of steam he hits pretty hard. He is really friendly and I think the woman I got him from treated him like a pet dog when he was a lamb (I got him when he was about 8 months old). Thanks for the advice.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Whenever I get butted by a ram I grab them by the head and turn it (like steer wrasslin') and flop them down on their side. I'll keep them there a few minutes and then let them up. It seems to make them realize they should quit....but it's not a permanent solution.

Oh, and I've only had luck with younger rams doing this. I used to work on a farm with a 300+ lb Montadale ram who was evil come the end of breeding season. Unless I was REALLY pissed I could not flip him, so I just tried to avoid him as much as possible. He hurt when he hits!

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I've had luck with the ram having a collar and just leading him around while I am working in the pasture or pen (such as for feeding). He was close enough to me that he couldn't hit me, so he was never a major issue. Usually an extra large dog collar will work (rams have thick, musclar necks).

Latest posts