What would you do?

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So I sold this girl a black Beveren doe, if you have ever owned black or blue Beverens then you would know that they are way different in personalities compared to the BEWs! I got an email today from the girl saying that she can't handle the rabbit anymore, she is becoming too aggressive for her. She is bringing me back the doe and I was wondering, should I give her the money back for the rabbit?

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
For me, I would consider a few things:

a) was this a first time buyer or an experienced rabbit person trying the breed;
b) the age of the buyer - you say girl, so I'm picturing a younger person
c) how many rabbits I sell - am I a breeder or is this a "onesy-twosy" thing
d) what did I tell the customer when the rabbit was purchased

Lastly, what kind of reputation do I want and is this a chance to practice kindness and benevolence? This is most important to me. You can probably guess what I'd do.

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well did you tell her about what to expect with the rabbit at all? If she was a first time buyer or even to the breed, she might not have been expecting that behavior. If it was me, I would return the money if she happened to ask for it (and was polite about it) but then again, if she was a first time buyer, you can just tell her to get educated before buying another pet. Im not really sure what I would do in the situation but thats my opinion.

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well I was guessing if she wanted the breed she would of done research. I guess not? Anyway I just gave her the money back, it's not like she bought the rabbit for $70.00+ so I just did what was right at that time. She said the doe was aggressive but hasn't shown that behavior to me. :idunno

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Heartlandrabbitry said:
Well I was guessing if she wanted the breed she would of done research. I guess not? Anyway I just gave her the money back, it's not like she bought the rabbit for $70.00+ so I just did what was right at that time. She said the doe was aggressive but hasn't shown that behavior to me. :idunno
IMO, you did the right thing. Sounds like a very inexperienced girl, who probably was told she was the one responsible for it totally and realized she wasn't ready to take care of an animal. Being new, I was a little tentative with my buns, worried I'd do something as a novice to hurt them. A rabbit, any animal, can sense your fear. But as time has gone on, my confidence and the trust of my bunnies have occurred.

Shame she didn't keep at it or have someone there to support her in her new venture, whether breeding or pet.

As you can see, the doe hasn't shown any bad behavior because she is with you, someone who is confident and knows their rabbit stock. Maybe you will find someone for her to go to that knows the breed, or has had experience with bunnies.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would just give the money back. I am assuming you are referring to a fairly short amount of time. like less than a month or two.

I just purchased a rabbit and was told it was a doe and now we think it is a buck. I know it happens, but we were more dissappointed than anything. The thing is we aren't positive. My father n' law a veterinarian, and raising rabbits for 60 years, wasn't even positive. 3 1/2 months old. so frustrating. This got me thinking about the ethics of it and what we will need to do. Since we are going to try to raise Silver Fox rabbits.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I would just give the money back. I am assuming you are referring to a fairly short amount of time. like less than a month or two.

I just purchased a rabbit and was told it was a doe and now we think it is a buck. I know it happens, but we were more dissappointed than anything. The thing is we aren't positive. My father n' law a veterinarian, and raising rabbits for 60 years, wasn't even positive. 3 1/2 months old. so frustrating. This got me thinking about the ethics of it and what we will need to do. Since we are going to try to raise Silver Fox rabbits.
I don't see why any breeder would NOT take back a bun. If he was aware that you were intending to breed, and everyone knows it's hard to figure out the sex of a bun when they are young, maybe he will switch with you for a female. Knowing what you went through, maybe it's better to get a doe when she is a little older to start a breeding program? You would know she's a doe. I'm considering that now when I start my breeding program. My two were young when I got them because they were always considered pets and I wanted to bond with them earlier. (I've always had dogs and that's what I've always done).

Plus this is something to think about when I start my own. And how I am, I know I would give you what you want.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:he
Ms. Research said:
20kidsonhill said:

I don't see why any breeder would NOT take back a bun. If he was aware that you were intending to breed, and everyone knows it's hard to figure out the sex of a bun when they are young, maybe he will switch with you for a female. Knowing what you went through, maybe it's better to get a doe when she is a little older to start a breeding program? You would know she's a doe. I'm considering that now when I start my breeding program. My two were young when I got them because they were always considered pets and I wanted to bond with them earlier. (I've always had dogs and that's what I've always done).

Plus this is something to think about when I start my own. And how I am, I know I would give you what you want.
It isn't easy finding older meat rabbits. It seems like you pretty much have to buy them young. oh, this wasn't my son's silver fox rabbits, this was a NZ x cali for my father n'law. We got if for him as a gift. If grandpa decides it is for sure a male and he doesn't want it for breeding, ai may ask the seller to take it back. But with the price of gas it may not be worth my effort to return it. I may just let my son butcher it or try to resell it. I wont beable to resell at a pet, it is horribly wild. Another thing I didn't expect, since the seller kept saying how he was raising that mix for pets, I assumed he was handling them.

this makes me worry about driving almost 5 hours one way to get the silver fox rabbits and then ending up with the wrong sex, although I know this breeder is very experienced. We are having a terrible time getting rabbits from him. first we were on a waiting list, for 4 months, then he called us and need us to come that week to get the rabbits. Well it is a 5 hour drive, we have our fair in two weeks and we ar so busy it isn't even a little funny. there was no way we could take the entire day on Sat. to go get the rabbits. I offered to mail him a check and pay for room and board for the rabbits if he had room for them, or if he wanted to he could just go to the next person on the list. He said he would go to the next person on the list and he said he wouldn't have rabbits available again until October. :he They have a nice website, they sound like they are interested in young people learning about farming, but they aren't very easy to work with. but they did say they lost a bunch of rabbits from the heat. It seems though if he had the bunnies already born he would arrange ahead of weaning time for us to come and get them and give us some notice, instead of waiting until the rabbits had to be picked up. :idunno

Sorry to carry on, and high-jake someone elses thread.

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Heartlandrabbitry said:
A rabbit, any animal, can sense your fear.
You know, I was just thinking the same thing. This girl was very nervous when I first gave her the doe, which may be why the doe acted like she did? I do not tolerate any type of that behavior in my rabbits and I'm pretty sure when that doe came back to me she remembers how I handle her! The girl probably didn't handle her like she is use to. That doe now is the sweetest thing ever, a lot different then when I actually sold her. I told the doe yesterday, if she gets an attitude with me then I know the perfect place to send you! ;)

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:

Are you sure your rabbit isn't a buck with a split penis? That is something to consider especially if you can't tell the sex at 3 1/2 months old!