What would you do?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Heartlandrabbitry said:
20kidsonhill said:
I would just give the money back. I am assuming you are referring to a fairly short amount of time. like less than a month or two.

I just purchased a rabbit and was told it was a doe and now we think it is a buck. I know it happens, but we were more dissappointed than anything. The thing is we aren't positive. My father n' law a veterinarian, and raising rabbits for 60 years, wasn't even positive. 3 1/2 months old. so frustrating. This got me thinking about the ethics of it and what we will need to do. Since we are going to try to raise Silver Fox rabbits.
Are you sure your rabbit isn't a buck with a split penis? That is something to consider especially if you can't tell the sex at 3 1/2 months old!
Hmmmm. :idunno I am sure grandpa has sat down and tried to look again since we dropped the bunny off. I am sure time will tell. The seller did say he was inexperienced and would be glad to take the rabbit back. I was wondering if grandpa was trying to spare my feelings about us bringing him a male rabbit. :barnie

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Split penis? Never heard of that before. Learn something new every day. And a Vet of how long can not seem to see this? I guess it IS hard to sex a rabbit some times. I would be a little tentative too driving 5 hours one way and not even knowing if its a male or female. That makes my first idea of searching for a proven doe a No #1 priority when I start my breeding program. And regarding the kits when they come, will be very watching of "dirty" backs when looking for males, which BTW was an excellent idea, considering I'm watching both my males do the same thing to each other.

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Split penises will sometimes make bucks look like does when checking for the sex. Though the so called "doe" will also have testicles! :th I heard it can be genetic and even the does can carry it.

Latest posts