what would you offer for a standing fence?

hitnspit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have come across a fence with metal T post that the owner is looking to sell but you have to pull it up. The fence is 700 feet long and it looks like 6" squares. What would you all give for a offer for something like this. Thanks

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
T-posts are around $5 each new. Take a good look at the wire, is it regular field fencing or heavy duty knotted goat fence? Go to a Tractor Supply, McCoys or other store with farm wire and look at how the wire is made. You need to know what you are pricing. Here's a link to TSC

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/search/field-fencing

The goat fence is 4"x4" squares, 4 feet tall and 330 feet long for $230 just for an example.

There is a field fence that has small holes at the bottom and gets bigger at the top. It is 47" tall and 330 feet long for $145.

So before you make an offer, you need to figure out as best as you can just what the wire cost new.

700 feet of wire. Let's say there is a T-post every 6 feet. 700 divided by 6 is 116. I would figure on paying $1-$2 each for the posts. 116x$1=$116 x$2=$232

How "used" are the posts (rusty, bent?) and wire (broken links, bent at the top, rusty?) Be sure to point out that you have to supply all the labor to take it down and that you will leave the area clean and neat.

Say the wire is the same as the field fencing that is $145 for 330 feet. for simplicity sake we'll call it 2 rolls. 2x145=290 new price. Used price..... maybe a third of the new price or $100. So you could low-ball at $200, if that insults the man, ask him what he wants for the fence and negotiate from there. Just know what the new price is, so that you don't over pay. The real value here is the T-posts. Keep that in mind. Find the price that makes you both happy.

Easiest way to take the fence down is to use bolt cutters to cut the T-post clips off unless you can pop them off so you can reuse them. Make sure to pick up every single piece of wire clip. They could cause damage if run over by a mower.

Hope this helps.

hitnspit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks. Gives me a good place to start.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also you will need a t-post puller...around $50-$60.
You will need all new clips and hardware. Do you have a post pounder/driver?
Rolling used fencing is no easy task...
Taking down used fencing is a lot of labor.

Personally, if it wasn't free I wouldn't do it. ;)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also you will need a t-post puller...around $50-$60.
You will need all new clips and hardware. Do you have a post pounder/driver?
Rolling used fencing is no easy task...
Taking down used fencing is a lot of labor.

Personally, if it wasn't free I wouldn't do it. ;)
x2

hitnspit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
that's what im thinking. I really don't have time to pull it out. He was telling me its all brand new less then a year old. So im sure he will not let it go for free. Thanks

SadieHenry

Just born
Reaction score
There is a field fence that has small holes at the bottom and gets bigger at the top. It is 47" tall and 330 feet long for $145.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would just buy all new fence and posts...much easier than having to rip everything up and then install it.

Are the posts real Tposts or those cheap and thin Uposts that lowes and even tsc sell? If they aren't the heavy duty type, not worth pulling those up.

If the fence isn't woven, it's not worth taking it down and paying for it. Welded fence is not worth it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's already been stretched once, and IMO, used knotted field fence never goes back up as nice and tight as the first time it was unrolled. To be honest, he'd have to pay ME for me to even think about taking it down, or tell him to pull it down and you will buy the used t-posts.

hitnspit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So this guy got back to me and said he had a bid for $300. But wanted to ask me first because I was first to email about it. From the reply''s I got here I told him if you can get $300 for it you better call that person back yesterday.