What would your note say?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Put up a sheet and explain the following information is being requested to deter thieves and those who do not understand the meaning of "honor system". Ask the folks to please put their license plate number down along w/name optional, with what they've purchased, and how much money they are depositing. Indicate that the referenced information will be compared to the photographic record.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sharpen a pencil up to a fine point so you can write the note on the side of a bullet.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think if you put a note out there it would just make the perpetrator<s> just take more or all of it just to flip you the bird, so to speak. You just cant trust anyone anymore. Morals have changed. Not many, it seems, respect anothers property or given the chance, will do the right thing. I would do as another poster suggested and post times they can come buy something from you or set up hours that you or someone will be there to man the stand. Im surprised the thief didn't take the money too, or did that also happen?

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What if u offer the eggs for free for a while. What would be the fun in stealing free eggs. Just give them away to everyone for say a month then go back to charging for them.

Maybe the person who is stealing needs them. Maybe it is all the food they have.
And I'm not saying u would think they are poor. You can have a million dollar house and a fancy car and not have food. I have seen it and have delt with people like it. It can come from bad life decisions or just bad things happening to you.

Maybe put a sign on that says that u know someone is taking eggs and not paying and if they would need more food to please contact u and that u would like to help out.

Just a few different ways to look at it

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe the person who is stealing needs them. Maybe it is all the food they have.
Maybe, or maybe the thief is just a thief and is selling the eggs to help support a dope habit.

I cannot abide a &%$#!*! thief.
There isn't much I have, that I won't give to someone if they need it, or at least loan it to them if they ask, but if they come to my house and just take it, they will pay a serious price.......I may as well, but I will not put up with stealing.

Last edited:

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score

I really like your post and never gave that a single thought.

I had thought about this possibility, having met a few of the homeless that camp out in the woods and empty houses around here.

The odds of these eggs being taken by someone with a genuine, desperate need are infinitesimally small.

Even if the need is genuine, a few dozen eggs a week is a horribly unbalanced diet.

There are plenty of organizations whose sole purpose is to provide assistance in the form of meals, housing, counselling, medical help (most of the local homeless have addictions), and even assistance with job placement.

Doing anything that encourages such antisocial behavior, without also providing access to a way out, is just enabling an already self-destructive pattern, and really not benefiting anyone.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doing anything that encourages such antisocial behavior, without also providing access to a way out, is just enabling an already self-destructive pattern, and really not benefiting anyone.

Yep. The whole country endured that dead end road for several decades until better reform came about...needs work yet but better than it was. Giving stuff and $$ away without job training and some education is nothing more than enabling bad scenarios.

The OP might ask the local constabulary if there have been any reports of businesses, homes, people or cars being hit with raw eggs lately..

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When ur starving and have to much pride u would steal eggs and eat them every day over a free hand out from a church or government program.

Some times one individual can help another more the an organization or program ( that usually just see $$$ and how many we can help numbers)

I was giving an alternative to calling the cops or just blaming someone.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
When ur starving and have to much pride u would steal eggs and eat them every day over a free hand out from a church or government program.

I've personally never had so much pride that I would stoop to stealing but not to accepting a free handout...or a hand up.
I just don't much believe in free rides, no way, no how, and stealing is a free ride.
They could at least have put their name and an IOU in the honor payment box.

Latest posts