What you didn't know -Share to help others

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay the idea of this thread is to share a condition, disease, ailment, something that happened to your animals that you wish you had known was possible or to watch for, or that you had been aware of the symptoms in time. A greatr treatment Maybe you were lucky in your animal lived or maybe you are like many of us, and you have a wall of tears for the animals that you lost because you just didn't know. Whether it's ammonium chloride for bucks and watching them pee once a week or being aware of anaphylactic reactions, ketosis, bloat, goat polio, a bad plant/hay issue, or whatever comes to mind will you share your stories? Because we really can learn from one another, and maybe it will save an animal from joining the wall of tears.

Dedicated to Echo my loving boy to whom I say I am so sorry I didn't know.
And to Bliss a fantastic doeling, the best I had, that I lost for not trusting my gut. If a treatment won't hurt them, but could possibly save them do it anyway I listened to the more experienced who were not there . I was wrong, and I lost for sure by hesitating. :hit

Last edited:

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I learned the hard way that even if you're feeding up being with ammonium chloride and it you need to be aware of the fact that some bucks are more susceptible you really have to watch your phosphorus and calcium ratios with them and it's a good idea once a week to just make sure everybody is peeing normally because you can have multiple bucks in one pen and have one get blocked up and the others be fine. You need to watch their intake and you need to watch that they have a steady stream, if they have trouble peeing are hunching up or being uncomfortable biting or kicking at their side. you could be like me though and have one that showed no symptoms to the night he didn't come up to eat by the time I got him to the vet an hour later it was too late.

My other best piece of advice is trust your gut, if it's a treatment, vitamin, mineral, or medicine that isn't going to kill them you're better off trying then waiting in case you're wrong cuz you could be dead right. If you were wrong though and it is a treatment that won't hurt them all you're out likely is the cost of the treatment.

Last edited:

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Get the expensive, "nice" fencing and build bigger than you think you'll need or you'll be doing it all twice.
Yeah, and get five foot fence for the buck pen or just do it with panels.

Last edited:

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread.

Don’t house goats in the barn if all you have is a gravel floor. I’m still trying to figure out what I can do to help my situation. There is way too much snow and cold to be building outside right now and has been for a couple of months now.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I learned the hard way that even if you're feeding up being with ammonium chloride and it you need to be aware of the fact that some blacks are more susceptible you really have to watch your phosphorus and calcium ratios with them and it's a good idea once a week to just make sure everybody is peeing normally because you can have multiple bucks in one pen and have one get blocked up and the others be fine. I need to watch their intake and you need to watch that they have a steady stream if they don't have trouble peeing aren't hunching up or being uncomfortable biting or kicking at their side. you could be like me though and have one that showed no symptoms to the night he didn't come up to eat by the time I got into the Vet it was too late.

My other best piece of advice is trust your gut, and if it's a treatment vitamin mineral medicine that isn't going to kill them you're better off trying then waiting in case you're wrong cuz you could be dead right. If you were wrong though and it is a treatment that won't hurt them all you're out likely is the cost of the treatment.

Black coloring or buck??
If black, what species?

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread.

Don’t house goats in the barn if all you have is a gravel floor. I’m still trying to figure out what I can do to help my situation. There is way too much snow and cold to be building outside right now and has been for a couple of months now.
What problem are you seeing specifically.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What problem are you seeing specifically.
I can’t get the gravel clean. The ammonia level is getting pretty tough to handle. A couple of goats are coughing. I’ve raked it multiple times, spread pounds of baking soda on the floor, tried lemon juice as well. The goats went crazy for both of those. They wanted to eat or drink it directly out of the container I was holding. I also spread a huge amount of vinegar on the floor. None of these made a dent in the ammonia issue for more than a few hours. We literally don’t have anywhere to put them right now to clean, level, and cement the floor. We can’t even put posts in the ground so we can have an area setup for them when some of the snow melts. We got them as brand new babies the last week of September. We thawed have until spring before they became 80-90# goofy beasts. They are so big now that three of them can jump over our Dutch door if the top is open.
938307D1-D272-401A-B00C-706EDCEB2095.jpeg C496E871-04E3-492B-B54B-1A43E30C5816.jpeg 3038977B-6B03-428B-84C2-5AAE0A70C343.jpeg 8D69C752-297E-4889-A64B-4AC56F3FA43D.jpeg A58AC939-4896-4A60-8482-ABEFAFAF1F7F.jpeg This goat isn’t even struggling to stand there. They take treats off of the shelf that is just outside the door and a little lower than the door as well.

Attachments

• 71C236D0-A3C6-4579-A84C-0AF7194C97E9.jpeg
    71C236D0-A3C6-4579-A84C-0AF7194C97E9.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 179