What you didn't know -Share to help others

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here's a reminder it's the time of year but it's most prevalent so make sure you keep the antitoxin on hand in case you get a case of entero toxemia. For those of you who have never had it be glad but be on the lookout for one that suddenly isn't eating or is doing that screaming cry you'll recognize it even if you've never heard it it's a constant bleeding cry not I'm hungry but aaaah aaah. you have so little time most people come home and just find them dead it can kill in 12 hours or less. By the time they're doing that screaming cry you have less. You can put some of the antitoxin down their throat and some Sub-Q you can even put the CD and T vaccine straight down their throat as a last-ditch if you don't have the antitoxin. Give banamine and you can even give oral penicillin on top of the other plus oil to coat.
Be advised the antitoxin works for 2 weeks and then they're susceptible again but it kills their vaccinations so if they have been vaccinated for CD&T and you use the antitoxin you must re vaccinate.

Last edited:

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m so new to goats I hesitate to offer any advice, but in my very short time as a goat owner I have had 2 emergencies and both were saved by activated charcoal.

The first incident was when I went to the goat yard and saw my Nigerian Dwarf doe looking like Cujo. Her hair was standing up on end, she had green foam all over her muzzle and was obviously very ill. I was terrified. I called her breeder and the vet and it was speculated that she may have had too much lush pasture or ate a toxic plant while browsing. I’m still not sure. But I remember that she improved dramatically after I dosed her with some activated charcoal.

The second time was last week, both she and her wether companion got into some moldy hay and had the foam face again. This time the vet advised mixing baking soda with water and my doe responded well and started to improve. My wether did not and remained sick for two days. I continued with the baking soda, and after some online research added milk of magnesia. He still didn’t improve and I was sure he was a goner. Then I remembered the activated charcoal and again, there was an immediate and dramatic improvement!

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing. It doesn't matter if you're new. if you have some good advice about a situation that's helpful that's all that matters cuz there's always somebody newer than you or her or who has not seen the condition you are familiar with. I remember hearing about that long ago and forgetting I am so glad you mentioned it I will make sure that's in my cabinet for spring and summer. :)

How much did you give and how?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea! People can learn from others mistakes and i'm sure a lot of people can relate to these posts!
Is this post for goats only? I have some rabbit stories but no goat stories... ?

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea! People can learn from others mistakes and i'm sure a lot of people can relate to these posts!
Is this post for goats only? I have some rabbit stories but no goat stories... ?
Share away lit's of people own different types of animals. I don't happen to have any rabbits but I have goats, a horse, cows, and chickens.

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Like other allergic reactions, an anaphylactic reaction does not usually occur after the first exposure to an allergen but may occur after a subsequent exposure.

This happened to me this evening! Katie was on her 6th antibiotic shot and right after she was wobbling around like a drunk with her eyes closed and 10 minutes later dropped. I had read about the possibility of shock, but didn't think it would happen on a shot she'd had before. I had EpiPens on hand that I never had to use on myself and ended up giving her 2 of those. She went from lying there half dead to back on her feet and eating grass like a miracle. :th

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This happened to me this evening! Katie was on her 6th antibiotic shot and right after she was wobbling around like a drunk with her eyes closed and 10 minutes later dropped. I had read about the possibility of shock, but didn't think it would happen on a shot she'd had before. I had EpiPens on hand that I never had to use on myself and ended up giving her 2 of those. She went from lying there half dead to back on her feet and eating grass like a miracle. :th
I used one epi myself the first time as it is all I had. I now have Epinephrine and Dexamethasone on hand and two doses ready anytime I give shots.

So glad she is well! Share to save!