What's best fence/shelter setup for 4 alpacas?

merrikbush

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Hoping for some expert advice!

I just purchased 4 female "companion" alpacas, which have been socialized (two cria/two older females). My goal is to use them as therapy animals for chronically ill father and son, who will live on the property (dementia and anxiety). My son fell in love when we first visited alpacas years ago. We've visited them ever since, and they calm him like nothing else. I will of course sheer them annually, though I'm not in it for the fiber or breeding. I have them boarded for a month while I get their setup in place. I've attached a photo of one of the young ladies below. :)

I understand "no-climb" fencing is best, but I'm getting mixed messages about shelters. Some say a simple roof-only or 2-sided shade structure is fine, that they don't like to be penned at night. Other advice says yes to having an enclosed area as well (like a barn/paddock).

They will be living in Gold Country of California, below the snowline. There are coyotes and bobcats around, but no mountain lions.

I have one acre set aside for them. For fencing, would 4 cemented wood corner posts work with 6-foot t-bar placed at 6-foot intervals around the square?

And what would you recommend for a simple, inexpensive shelter?

Thanks for your help you can provide!
~Merrik

Attachments

• Alpaca.jpg
    Alpaca.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 92

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would have a small lot attached to their shelter that I could close them up in. Also have a way to close them in the barn, like maybe at night to keep them safe from coyotes. Hot wire the heck of the fence, top and bottom, to discourage coyotes and other people's DOGS. Alpacas are prey animals and have no defense.

@Bruce what say you?

merrikbush

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would have a small lot attached to their shelter that I could close them up in. Also have a way to close them in the barn, like maybe at night to keep them safe from coyotes. Hot wire the heck of the fence, top and bottom, to discourage coyotes and other people's DOGS. Alpacas are prey animals and have no defense.

@Bruce what say you?
Thank you! That's very good to know. We definitely have coyotes in the area, and one resident bobcat. I'm putting up 6-plus-foot no-climb fencing. If I had a guard llama, would I still need hot wire? Thanks so much for your help!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
llamas are prey animals too. I'd still go with the hot wire and make it HOT.

A lady a couple of miles from us lost her herd of goats to a cougar 2 years ago. She had guard donkeys-which are prey animals also. The donkeys didn't attack the cougar, they didn't protect the goats, they RAN.

We have sheep and 5 dogs, 2 Great Pyrenees, 2 Anatolians and 1 big black Labrador and Great Dane cross. The cougar did not pay us a visit, it was on the property next to us, it was heard screaming, our dogs were going nuts, but it did not come in. Predators like easy meals that they don't have to fight for and risk an injury. If our dogs get injured, we take them to the vet and we feed and care for them. If a predator gets injured, it cannot hunt and will go hungry, not to mention recovery from the injury. That cougar hung around for several weeks before moving on.