1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

What's in your garden?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by RollingAcres, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Apr 13, 2018
    RollingAcres

RollingAcres True BYH Addict

Just curious to find out what others are planting/will be planting in their gardens this year. Gardening (veggies) is one of the things I love doing. I love looking through seed catalogs, starting seeds, planting, and I'm not going to lie - sometimes weeding (when it's not so out of control). I work in an office all day, so being in the garden, even if it's weeding, gives me a chance to be outside and enjoy it.

I have already sowed seeds for:
    • 4 types of tomatoes: Brandywine, Rio Grande, Sweet 100, and one more I forgot what (lol)
    • 2 types of cucumbers
    • 3 types of peppers: sweet bell, jalapenos, banana peppers
    • 2 types of basil: sweet basil and cinnamon basil
    • Parsley
    • Broccoli
    • Cabbage
    • Ground cherry tomatoes
    • Onions
    • Some assorted flowers: Morning glory, zinnias, sunflowers, peonies
    I will also have pumpkin and some Asian veggies (need to sow those this weekend), carrots and lettuce will go in the garden directly later.
    Will also be planting some Painted Mountain Corn this year. I saw them on Baker Creek Heirloom seeds site and I have to have them! ;)

I can't wait for it to get warmer but unfortunately up here in upstate NY, it just doesn't seem to happen anytime soon....

2. Apr 14, 2018
    Alaskan

Alaskan True BYH Addict

well... right now I have snow in my garden.

Can't wait for the dandelions to sprout, yum!

3. Apr 14, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

I've got tomatoes, sweet peppers, HOT peppers, eggplant, various bush beans and pole bens, red ripper peas, zucchini, yellow squash, multiple types of winter squashes and pumpkins, cucumbers, radishes (for DH), okra, sunflowers, corn, basil, and rosemary, potatoes, and leeks. I'm probably forgetting a few things.... Still have a couple cabbages from the fall/winter garden that I'll pull today.

4. Apr 17, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I don’t start mine early (as in in the house.) Maybe one of these days I can add that to the chaos.

We direct sow: sweet corn, green beans, cucumbers, zucchini, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkins, gourds, spinach, lettuce, parsley, sunflowers, and zinnias.

I’d like to add a few tomatoes and peppers to make salsa and spaghetti sauce, peas, basil, rosemary, cilantro, oregano, squash, sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes, cantaloupe, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, asparagus...

Rammy and RollingAcres like this.
  5. Apr 17, 2018
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

right now waiting for snow to get out of the forecast...

6. Apr 17, 2018
    ldawntaylor

ldawntaylor Loving the herd life

Right now what I've got is a lot of weeds and a few strawberries flowers that haven't set yet. Every time I think I might get something done it rains. Oh well - at least my chickens can enjoy the weeds.