What's this?

Meghan Agner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just bought this goat. She did not look like this when I bought her. When I picked her up and got her home this! Never seen something like this. It's not hard, it's gushy and sounds like a waterbed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 107

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well that is the side that her rumen is on but I have never seen anything like that. She does look very thin, I would honestly get a vet that knows goats to look at her.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know, but I believe @Sheepshape had an ewe who, I believe she described, had a stomach that drooped and sounded slushy. She ended up having a ruptured tendon and had to be put down. But, that may be far fetched- just something that came to mind.

I would take her to a vet.

Meghan Agner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I asked a goat friend and she said that sometimes this happens when they eat a lot and then aren't fed a while. She also said she thought She was wormy. Idk.... We will see. Hope it's not a death sentence

Meghan Agner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We don't have a very good goat vet around

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you get this goat from an auction?

Looks like it has a lump on both sides.

In this case, any vet is better than no vet. Even if your vet isn't very good, they should be able to tell you what it looks like. If it were a ruptured tendon I would think everything would hang down, not to the side. The larger lump is on the right side of the doe, so it doesn't looking like a stomach or eating issue. Almost looks like a huge tumor. Haven't ever seen one that bad before though!

She is extremely thin and if she doesn't survive I'd open her up and see what it is. I hope it doesn't go that way, but she looks far from healthy. :(

@frustratedearthmother, you ever seen anything like this?

Please keep us updated!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
The closest thing I've seen to that was on a very, very old - very, very over-conditioned pygmy goat that had had multiple kiddings. She had what her owner called 'saddlebags'. BUT - it looked nothing like this doe. I'm perplexed for sure. :hu

Squishy and waterbed sounds made me think huge hernia at first - but it's on both sides. I would love to hear what a vet would say.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is she eating, drinking, peeing and everything? I'm in no way an expert but could she be retaining fluids somehow? It really is a vet situation. Even without that lump, I would get a goat that thin to the vet.

Latest posts