What's wrong with My D'Uccle's eyes?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I beg to differ polka doodle ;)

I was on BYC many years ago, back when they had the old platform. I left because it had so many crazies and I don't have the time (that may have changed now)

Our farm has bred over 20 different breeds of chickens and just a few years ago we had over 300 chickens. We fed by the bag....not the scoop ;) We hatched several hundred chicks a year. Oh don't forget the ducks, geese, and turkeys either. I know very much about MG- years ago we went thru testing and were negative. We had a very strict bio security program (and still do) and would do a shock treatment to any hatching eggs we would ship in.

Honestly, it seems that no one on byc knows poultry diseases. Of course they know about the big diseases but what about the nitty gritty stuff? Most will say its just a cold, no big deal, it just happens. But these are the same folks are truly not educated about the illness itself.

IOW I am not a novice but I'm not a know it all either.

We have now downsized to only about 100 chickens with a few geese and turkeys, along with a duck.
I left BYC from an email crash, I got that email up again, but didn't get to stay with BYC. I have many friends there that I miss, and I will go back to say goodbye in the future. I try to take care of all chicken things here myself. I just knew the best decision would be to send her to BYC

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that @Goat Whisperer has most likely diagnosed it correctly and if it isn't MG it is certainly another respiratory infection. Personally I would treat with Tylan 50 if you are going to save her. Mycoplasmas do not respond to other antibiotics (I have it in my goat herd so I know this first hand). She may recover but will be a carrier so it all depends on what you intent is for your flock. If they are just for you and some eggs you are good, if you are going to raise and sell chicks or hatching eggs...then not so good.

There is no harm in eating the broilers. Myco spreads slowly, they probably won't even get sick in the short time you have them.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think that @Goat Whisperer has most likely diagnosed it correctly and if it isn't MG it is certainly another respiratory infection. Personally I would treat with Tylan 50 if you are going to save her. Mycoplasmas do not respond to other antibiotics (I have it in my goat herd so I know this first hand). She may recover but will be a carrier so it all depends on what you intent is for your flock. If they are just for you and some eggs you are good, if you are going to raise and sell chicks or hatching eggs...then not so good.

There is no harm in eating the broilers. Myco spreads slowly, they probably won't even get sick in the short time you have them.

What is Tylan 50? :confused: Sorry...

We don't sell any hatching eggs or chicks, but we sometimes sell or giveaway our older hens.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tylan 50 is an antibiotic. You can get it at Tractor Supply. I inject it under the skin in the neck at the base of the head. Can also do it in the breast. Dose is about .25cc for three days. I do mine subQ but many do the breast muscle. You need a tiny TB syringe.

Tylan is the only drug that will work on Mycoplasmas.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Let me know on the result, I am a D'Uccle owner myself, mine are for show though

Alright. Hopefully our TSC has Tylan 50, I've never seen it there before.

@babsbag now two more of our D'Uccles' have a swelling at the corner of their beaks, I should treat them with Tylan 50 too, right?

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would treat them too. Respiratory diseases are almost always contagious.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My Mom went to get Tylan 50, but it wasn't there, so instead she got Tylan 200. It says that it is for cattle and swine only. So I definitely can't use it for the D'Uccle's, right?