What's Wrong with my Goats?

goatgirl1022

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! My name's Abby, and I'm new to BYH. Some of Y'all may know me from BYC as TroyerSis.
We're having some milk issues, and I need some advice. First, my ND goat who is being dried off, is getting clots in her milk. I do not think she has mastitis. She doesn't have any of the other symptoms, but we did buy a mastitis kit, so it'll be in the mail soon. My other problem is with my 2 yo Alpine doe. She's getting blood in her milk, and I don't know why. Any information is helpful! Thanks!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is the Alpine in milk for the first time? How long has she been in milk?

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome, @goatgirl1022, from East Texas.

I'm glad you figured out that your ND doesn't have mastitis. :)

We don't have dairy goats yet. So, I can't be much help. We have a good number of dairy goat experts, though. So, you came to the right place for answers.

Last edited:

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has she always had pink milk? When we had some friends milk they were still learning so they milked her to hard and that caused blood. How often are you milking the ND doe and how much does she give each time you milk?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a doe that has pink milk at first too, it is from being over engorged and the capillaries in her udder will break. After a few days things go back to normal.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The alpine has been in milk before. We figured out what it is though! Not mastitis! YAY!!! She has pink milk (not an actual disease).

http://u-sayranch.com/2010/01/pink-milk-isnt-mastitis-by-irene-ramsay/
Pink milk CAN be a symptom of mastitis. It might sometimes not be, but that doesn't mean it's not in your case.

Is your does udder hot or swollen?

What is your doe's temperature?

Is her milk clumpy or abnormally thick?

Does your doe seem sensitive to you milking her?

When was the last time she was milked out?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! Glad you joined us. Hope you get your milking issues figured out. There are a lot of really great goat folks here.

goatgirl1022

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Has she always had pink milk? When we had some friends milk they were still learning so they milked her to hard and that caused blood. How often are you milking the ND doe and how much does she give each time you milk?

The ND gives about a quart and a half each day, but a little less now because I'm drying her off. I milk her every 10-12 hours.

Latest posts