When a fool attempts a castration she saw in a book~Update...

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I read all the books, perused the pics, even had helped do the same thing on weanling pigs....but nothing prepared me for doing my own lamb.

First, the testes did not "milk" out of the scrotum like everyone described...I had to practically dig them out, which I'm sure was excruciating to the lamb.

I never really got them isolated out of the scrotum until I had the cords in my hands...every time the lamb twitched the testes would disappear back into his scrotum.

I finally, in desparation, just cut as close to the bottom of the testes that I could visualize....bad move.

The bleeding wouldn't stop.

We applied ice before the procedure and after, pressure for long periods, tea bags even...didn't have any blood stop or cayenne pepper. Finally applied a pressure bandage and waited.

All the while, this poor, beautiful lamb is weakened and in shock.

This is a day of which I am not proud. I think the bleeding has finally stopped but he is weak and doesn't seem to want to nurse. I bolused him with some honey, water, unpasteurized ACV and will wait. That is really all I can do....a vet call would be more than he is worth, monetarily.

He is now resting and only time will tell.

Never, ever, will I cut a lamb for castration again. Banding from now on...what in the world was I thinking???? :he :he :he

This is what happens when amateurs mess around with livestock.... :he

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry it didn't go well, hope he gets through.

But you know even when the professionals do it, by that a mean a Vet, it doesn't always work out, I lost a goat last week, who the Vet castrated.

Good luck, :fl :hugs

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I remember this happening to a goat kid my dad castrated (knife method) one spring...the kid ended up spending a day laying on a towel next to the wood stove in shock. He survived.....grew up to be a strong, vigorous, playful boy (then dinner...). Hopefully, your lamb will, too. Don't be too hard on yourself. Knowing you, you did a fine job, as good as anyone would/could. :hugs It happens.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
Shoulda bought a burdizzo. Hope he makes it.
Thanks..... :rolleyes:

He's fine this morning and has been nursing well. He's walking a little stiff-legged but I think he will survive...thank the good Lord above!

I'll put some bag balm on him this morning and check him often for any fly involvement or infection.

Thanks for all the support, you guys! Live and learn? I positively felt sick to my stomach thinking I had needlessly caused the death of that fine lamb.

Next stop at the feed store will be a purchase of blood stop....and who knows? Maybe a burdizzo..... ;)

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
jhm47 said:
Shoulda bought a burdizzo. Hope he makes it.
Thanks..... :rolleyes:

He's fine this morning and has been nursing well. He's walking a little stiff-legged but I think he will survive...thank the good Lord above!

I'll put some bag balm on him this morning and check him often for any fly involvement or infection.

Thanks for all the support, you guys! Live and learn? I positively felt sick to my stomach thinking I had needlessly caused the death of that fine lamb.

Next stop at the feed store will be a purchase of blood stop....and who knows? Maybe a burdizzo..... ;)
Don't beat yourself up about it! :hugs The thing that caused the bleeding here was cutting the testicles out. You're supposed to pull them out, because as you pull, it crushes the capillaries to stop the bleeding. And it helps to get the testicles out if you cut off the bottom half (or at least a third) of the scrotum. You probably didn't give yourself enough room to work.

If he's still bleeding this morning (or starts again), I'd go ahead and band him. Do you have the bander? That would stop the bleeding.

But don't beat yourself up about it! You live and learn, and now you know what not to do for next time! :)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Aggie! He is fine this morning but just a little stiff. I have the bander and bands here.

You are correct, I didn't allow enough room to work in and had only removed the bottom portion of the sac to allow for drainage. No working room and was unable to properly get a hand on the seeds enough to pull them out to expose the cords.

When we did pigs it was so different as they do not have that large and loose scrotal sac. We just made two slits and it was easy then to expose the testes and cords. The cords were just snapped off at that point....no blood, no mess.

Poor fella still looks at me like I stole his birthday.... :p

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
He'll thank me later when he can actually formulate a clear thought without those male hormones clouding his judgement! :D