When a fool attempts a castration she saw in a book~Update...

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Really glad the he's improving.

Another thing for stopping bleeding if you have it is Tumeric, it is also a natural antiseptic. I haven't used it on animals, but have used it on myself and it works.

Give the little guy a hug for me and one for you too. :hugs :hugs

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I got this from an old Bask shepherd. Something that you will not find in books... can be found almost everywhere, is all natural and really works is spider webs. Take a web down carefully and apply to any bleeder... stops the bleeding by forming a clot in short order.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Bossroo said:
I got this from an old Bask shepherd. Something that you will not find in books... can be found almost everywhere, is all natural and really works is spider webs. Take a web down carefully and apply to any bleeder... stops the bleeding by forming a clot in short order.
I've heard that too but never tried it!

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I remember reading that somewhere, but one thing I don't do is spiders aghhhhhhhhhh no way I could touch a spiders web. :hide

If spiders and creepy crawlies go there way and leave me alone that's great, but never should our paths cross.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I knew about the spider webs but it would have taken a whopping load of webs to staunch this flow....large area of wound and bleeding.

If I have a spider that large, I just do NOT want to know about it! :lol:

I'll clue you in....its very hard to put a pressure bandage on a lamb's scrotum..... :barnie but it worked!

He has been fine as frog hairs and is currently chasing my kitten around the yard. His scrotum is not edematous, nor hot to touch, has formed a good scab and I don't see any signs of drainage or maggot involvement.

I applied a light coating of bag balm yesterday.

Now...it may just be my imagination but my son noticed it as well. Since he had his little raw honey UP/ACV drench, he appears to have put on weight! He positively jiggles as he runs and he is a little heavier since the last time I hefted him.

I'm wondering if the litte shot of probiotics has helped him utilize his milk better or something. I noticed the same thing in my older sheep the first time I drenched them with the UP/ACV, raw honey and garlic mix. They seemed to very quickly fill out more, their hair seemed glossier and they really seemed to grow better.

Going to have to do a before and after taping of body parts next time to see if this phenomenon is a direct correlation.

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Really pleased for you, sounds like he is coming on a treat. :celebrate

sheepish

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Glad the little guy recovered for you.

I tried a sheep sized Burdizzo this year with mixed results. Had to recrush some. Was applying it twice to each cord. One close to the teat, the second below it, each application 30 sec, which should have been enough, but sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. It is really hard for me to keep the cord from slipping out as the Burdizzo is closed, but I got better at it. That was mostly because my fingers are short and to get the tool over the sac and cord it's open so wide it's hard for me to close it again. However, some times I KNOW the cord was clamped, but it still survived. Brand new Burdizzo, so shouldn't be out of adjustment and I don't store it clamped shut. Anyone have any tips on using it?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!! :) How do you know when they are crushed properly? Can you feel them before and not afterwards?

How do you know for sure these cords won't just bruise, heal and regenerate....I've always wondered that. I know that some vasectomies just don't "take" on humans, so was wondering if this ever happens with sheep/cattle?

sheepish

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

You really know whether it worked or not three weeks later--if it worked the testicles stopped growing and start getting smaller. If it doesn't work, you re-apply.

Looks like my problem may have been not closing the instrument fast enough (according to some sources), which affects how cleanly the cords are crushed, I guess.

I've seen learned about Ritchie Nippers, which are an alteration of Burdizzo design, made specially for sheep/goats and I won't have the problem with the short fingers in trying to close the Burdizzo.

Latest posts