When bulls come to "visit"

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We're going to borrow the sire of our two calves and will be bringing him to the farm next month to breed back Sheila and Bridgit for our 2009 calves. We'll have him 9-10 weeks before taking him back home.

Since it'll be Feb. and everyone's confined to the paddock (grass is dormant until April 1-ish), I'd like to hear what ideas you all have for preparing for our visitor.

He's 3, fairly good sized but not full grown, and as bulls go, very docile and easy. (He's still a bull, of course, so we'll exercise every precaution as far as our own safety goes.)

Will he be ok in the paddock with the calves? I don't have the paddock dimensions exactly, but eyeballing it, I'd say it's about 100 x 100 ft with a barn 60 x 12 ft at one end (two open stalls), and a fenced off portion for our garden (20 x 40 ft)...we'll be feeding haylage and hay in there, so I'm hoping that's enough room for everyone to knock around in.

Thanks!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Generally, bulls are okay around the calves. The thing you have to watch for with calves is as they get to breeding age, you don't want to breed the back to their father or have them bred to small. They are young enough that shouldn't be a problem this year.

Room wise, I think you will be okay. wynedot or jhm47 would probably be better versed on this though. When ever we have had a bull they have either been on pasture or in a stall in the barn and turned out with the cows.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I don't know about the amount of room either. Like Kitty says, bulls are usally pretty good with calves.

The two things I would be concerend about.

First, are there any cows near you that the bull might want to go visit? I know the guy that raised pure Angus, didn't like the Holstien bull that kept breaking in to his pasture!

Second, and the most important thing to consider! Did you plan this breeding so they calve AFTER late buck? Or at least after Elk season?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
First, are there any cows near you that the bull might want to go visit? I know the guy that raised pure Angus, didn't like the Holstien bull that kept breaking in to his pasture!

Second, and the most important thing to consider! Did you plan this breeding so they calve AFTER late buck? Or at least after Elk season?
1. Good point! How are your fences?

2. :lol: Might be a very good thing to consider! Don't forget the snow! :D

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
2. Might be a very good thing to consider! Don't forget the snow!
MIGHT BE?
Oh Kitty!
Calves born in our snow, do fine!
Calves born during hunting season, is just wrong!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Depends on how "into" the hunting season you are. The only problem I have with cows due during hunting season is they could interfer with my shopping! There's usually many good craft sales during the gun deer season.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Even if your not into hunting, if your only help is unreachable on top of a moutain some where, it can be a pain!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
you should have enough room for the cows an calves for 70 days.as said if cows are close by the bull may want to go roaming.but always watch the bull.an remember he can hurt you if he wants to.hope your cows get bred back.have you seen them come into heat after they calved.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Even if your not into hunting, if your only help is unreachable on top of a moutain some where, it can be a pain!
If I need help it's a vet call. I've birthed many problem calvings including doing episodomies so, if I need help it's a vet. They hate calving calls from us! :gig

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think our paddock fencing is pretty good, although there are a couple spots that need reinforcing since the cows have scratched like crazy on them. But, if he got out of the paddock, he'd just be in our pasture with the barbed wire and hotwire (and know other cows nearby that I'm aware of...at least not within a mile and a half or so). Good to know the calves will be ok, and yeah, they're both young so no worries about being bred (or doing any breeding at this point).

Ah, yes, hunting season...well, this year both calves came after elk AND late buck (the week before Thanksgiving and the week after). But if DH is gone...that's why I have you on my phone, thewife! ;)

Slightly unrelated, but this breeding age thing has me thinking....I've seen T-Bone try to get up on his mother multiple times (several days ago she let him, now she's not), then Bridgit the last couple days (she runs him off), and today when I was out there, he tried it on me - TWICE! I yelled and kicked at him (he fell in his attempt to scramble away once, ha!). Is this a dominance thing, an exploratory thing, or (gulp) does he recognize that I'm menstruating right now?? (sorry if TMI).