When can goat kids go outside with mom?

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When is it okay to let the baby goats outside to wander around with their mom?

I only have 2 does. Lily gave birth to two bucklings 4 days ago (April 13). Lily's sister, Poppy, sneaks into Lily's area every morning and then the two does headbutt over and over again. Poppy is nice to the bucklings...just sniffs them. But her presence irritates mama Lily and her hackles raise and, like I said, it turns into a big headbutting "fight" between the two does.

I currently have Lily and her kids in a "birthing stall" sort of area in our garage/shed/barn thing but Lily keeps acting like she wants to take her babies out. Is that okay? Or are they still too little for that adventure? They're Nigerian Dwarfs and pretty tiny kids.

As an aside, I think my other doe, Poppy, is a little sad at being left alone. I hadn't thought about how this would play out when Lily gave birth. Trying to give Poppy lots of attention but she seems a little depressed. Kinda kicking myself for not having 3 does, so there's always two together. That's another reason I'm wondering when the kids can go out...so Poppy won't be alone anymore.

Thoughts?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have does who will do the headbutt thing! Often new moms will, even with own siblings. Usually only short term and if new kids at side. I let mine out about day 3 if kids nursing well, etc. The kids will often nurse and nap while mom grazes nearby. It's the protection mode for a while....so, unless violent or lasting more than a few minutes, they'll work it out. Normally they do no more than smell the new kids, unless they try to nurse.😁. Then they push aware or walk away.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
After a couple of days of Poppy coming in to visit Lily (the new mom) and headbutting, Lily eventually just...ignored her sister and Poppy gave up the headbutting.

Now all the goats are in one area together and it's been fun watching Poppy (auntie) interacting with the 2 bucklings. They want to follow her around and one even tried to nurse from her, even though she doesn't have an udder yet. lol. She's very gentle with them.

So all's well that ends well.