When can my cows meet their maker?

earlybird

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, that was a crass way to put it... Sorry, I really do care about my boys, but the fact is, they're here to provide meat. How young can a steer actually be slaughtered? Is there an unwritten rule that they be a year old? How do I know when they're "the right size". I thought I'd send my first post here and see what happens.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What breed are they?

But generally, it's a matter of how much meat you want. I know some that butcher a holstein steer at 750 lbs and some that wait until closer to 1200 lbs. Veal calves are generally considered to be 400-450 lbs (again here they are a milking breed).

Age isn't necessarily a factor. My SIL and her husband raise steers and a lot of the time they are under a year old when they reach their target weight. Granted you don't want them old as they get tougher but, weight is more a factor than age.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
you really dont butcher by age.you go by weight.id say you want to butcher them at 900 to 1000lbs ea.

earlybird

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are Black Angus/Gelbveigh cross.

So, here's another question, how do I know how much they weigh? :)

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
when you take them to the butcher they will give you their hanging weight.an add about 45% to it an youll have the live weight.

mjdtexan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
earlybird said:
They are Black Angus/Gelbveigh cross.

So, here's another question, how do I know how much they weigh? :)
I know this is an old post but I think this person was curious about how to tell what they weigh while the cow is still at this persons house? I could be wrong, but I am curious about how that works myself. Does one have to buy a cattle scale or something?

Yes, I am reading all of the old post.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No cattle scale needed. They make "tapes" you can buy that you wrap around them right behind their front legs. It will give a rough estimate. Of course, you need to find one with the correct breed as each breed is different and remember it is just a rough estimate.

Read on. The old threads stay around as a source of info for newbies. We will answer if you post to them or a new thread. It doesn't make any difference.

COUNTRYMAN

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the tape is a good idea, it works. in time you will be able to look at um and give a pretty accurate guestimation

take some time and go to your local livestock sales and watch them run the cattle in. you will get a good idea of what 3, 4 and 5 weights look like on the hoof

you will be amazed at the folks you meet. the things you will learn just by watching with your ears

My dad allways told us boys, god gave ya 2 ears and one mouth so you can listen twice as much as you talk :D

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i can eye ball cattle an most times i wont miss the weights 50lbs up or down.