When do u wean?

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is the earliest u wean your baby rabbits at? Mine are a day shy of 3 weeks and already mom is trying to get away from them and doesn't let them nurse much.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we had rabbits we let them stay with mom for 4-weeks, but we have friend that did 3-weeks.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I know a lot of people leave them until 6 weeks but I just cant see that happening, they are good size already and mama seems to have had enough!
Do u have to check does for mastitis or engorgement once u take the babies off her? I know when I took piglets from my sow she got so swollen and seemed uncomfortable bc she was used to being nursed. That's when I took the entire litter at once.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
A doe only nurses a couple of times per day, regardless of the babies' age. Once the kits come out of the nest box, they may try to nurse any time they get near the doe; she will tell them to "get lost!" except at the times when she chooses (typically around dawn and dusk). After a while, the kits will get the message, and stop being such pests.

If you feel you must separate them, put the doe in a different cage. Baby rabbits at that age are pretty fragile and stress easily. Removing them from their mother is extremely stressful at that age, so leaving them in a familiar space and moving her will create the least amount of stress possible for them.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank u. I believe I'll give them another week or so but just wasn't sure if that would be too soon.

LukeMeister

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here (in NC) you must leave them with their mother for 8 weeks (and if you live in Indiana, Virginia Florida, or Vermont it's the same for you). I leave them in with their mother to let her decide when to wean. I think 4 weeks to wean is definitely too young. I would wait till at least 6 weeks if you must take them out.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
With my French lops they can be testy! Some does wean way too early while others will not wean at all until I intervene. Leave the kits with the doe, maybe provide something she can jump up onto away from them, for as long as possible. 6 weeks minimum.