When do you help?

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry, I was outside giving the rabbits a shower and changing out they're water. It's already 94 degree's and will be over 100 around 5 pm, so everyday I spray the rabbits with water and change out the hot water for cold. I do this about 3 times a day. I've only lost one to heat, about 2 years ago but since I started this program, I havent lost any.
Now back to your question, If you keep the hay low enough, in the box, they shouldn't jump out but if they should, at least they'll be with their mother in the upper half. Either way, they should be fine.

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry, I was outside giving the rabbits a shower and changing out they're water. It's already 94 degree's and will be over 100 around 5 pm, so everyday I spray the rabbits with water and change out the hot water for cold. I do this about 3 times a day. I've only lost one to heat, about 2 years ago but since I started this program, I havent lost any.
Now back to your question, If you keep the hay low enough, in the box, they shouldn't jump out but if they should, at least they'll be with their mother in the upper half. Either way, they should be fine.
Perfect. Thank you so much. My husband covered up the hole and I loaded the hutch with food and water soon think we're good to go!
I'll keep your system in mind if we reach those temps again! It sounds like a great plan. Here in Oregon we're only hitting upper 70s and still getting rain. 🥴

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your kits are still young and can't chase her real bad yet. Nother week they'll be ready to start hopping out and checking the world. They'll pester her some then.
For hot days frozen soda bottles work ok. I have some stone tiles I put in the freezer then put them in also. Some days they lay on them or not, soon as you put them in, or hours later. Push the bottles away, lick them sometimes,act like they wish you'd go away and take the bottle. Rabbits.... But you do what you can. Hot here today too. 80 degrees now ,was 90 under the shade at 3:30.

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We're home from camping and all is well. Everyone's eyes opened save the runt's, so I just brought him in to clean the tiny bit of crust out of his eyes. He fell asleep in my hand while I was doing so! This is the one I thought was dead on the bottom of the hutch when I found them the morning they were born but noticed he was still moving but really cold. I stuck him in my bra to warm him up fast and ran to Wilco for kitten formula in case we needed it. He was good to go after about an hour and didn't need any more help. I've just named him Roo. 😍 PXL_20220711_012920670.jpg

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That's good to hear! I always love the runts. By the way, smart thinking on keeping it warm in your bra. I can't do that, so I had to wrap mine up in towels and set them by the heater, but I was with them the whole time. Once warmed up, I put them back with the others. ;)

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That's good to hear! I always love the runts. By the way, smart thinking on keeping it warm in your bra. I can't do that, so I had to wrap mine up in towels and set them by the heater, but I was with them the whole time. Once warmed up, I put them back with the others. ;)
Haha, yes. At first I put him in with the others while I went and fed the other animals. Checked on him 10 minutes later and he was still so cold, but moving a little more. I decided I wanted to have formula on hand just in case and the farm store is only a few minutes away and has to run before my kids woke up so in he went and we hopped in the car. 🤣🤣 By the time we got home he was quite warm and squirmy, so back with his siblings he went. I figured they was the safest, quickest, and most mobile way. Skin to skin works with newborn humans, right?! 🤣🤣

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Haha, yes. At first I put him in with the others while I went and fed the other animals. Checked on him 10 minutes later and he was still so cold, but moving a little more. I decided I wanted to have formula on hand just in case and the farm store is only a few minutes away and has to run before my kids woke up so in he went and we hopped in the car. 🤣🤣 By the time we got home he was quite warm and squirmy, so back with his siblings he went. I figured they was the safest, quickest, and most mobile way. Skin to skin works with newborn humans, right?! 🤣🤣
That's right! ;)

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay so the rest are hopping in and out of the nest box, but our runt is left behind and looks lonely. He's about half the size of the others and I'm starting to wonder if he's not getting enough milk. He's always so calm but I'm edging into concern that he's lethargic rather than just used to humans. Here's mom checking on the rest. She peeked on him then hopped away. I do have formula if needed.20220716_081258_735.jpg

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Now they're all snuggling without him. 😭😭 He needs to live inside with me, right? Obviously that's the only answer😜20220716_085859_646.jpg