When do you turn out? Day or night?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My horses are usually in during the day and out at night during the hottest, buggiest months of the summer.

However, last year they could come and go in and out of the barn at liberty. They continued to remain nocturnal even throughout the winter by choice!

They just perfer to come in the barn in the early morning and nap until early afternoon and then they head out and stay out all night.

I'm not giving them free access to the barn this year (creates too much mud). Should I allow them to remain on the nocturnal schedule or should I bring them in at night instead? It seems like it would be terribly cold out in the pasture at night, but it doesn't seem to bother these guys!

The other thing I noticed is that when they are in during the daytime, they don't make as big of a mess of their stalls? Perhaps because they can see and not step in or kick around the poop as much? IDK?? Its strange, but makes stall cleaning so much easier!

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would follow the pattern they chose on their own if possible. Seems they would be happiest that way ... :)

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We do the out at night in summer, in at night in winter. Winters are LOTS colder
during the night, more chance of getting in trouble with ice, mud and snow when
things are harder to see. Out on winter days gives them Vit D, better visibility for
doing the playing they enjoy in the cold.

They are out shorter times in winter, probably 8A to 6-7P. Might be longer or shorter
depending on our evening plans. I don't have any shed to hang out in, so what
windbreak they get from the barn and trees is all they get. They get fed outside in
the AM, so the hay will keep them warm. They go out every day unless there is sheet
ice or sleet that will get them wet in cold winds.

Yeah there are stalls to clean, but stalling inside insures we handle horses daily, check them
EACH out for wounds or problems when we lead them in or out. I KNOW if everyone is drinking
and eating their share in the stall. Keeps me ahead of any food related issues like colic from not
drinking enough.

We seldom blanket, they grow plenty of hair, so I am not babying them much. I just feel
that daily handling lets me have a better over-all picture of each animal. Lots of folks
do the run-in stalls, saves them time. I just want closer supervision of my animals.

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Right now, I have a run-in so, my horses are out all of the time. But, I brush them and check them over daily. But, before winter, they will both have individual stalls. I plan to stall at night and pasture in the day time. But that is just my personal preference... To know that they are safe in the barn during the dark hours.