When should i rebreed my doe ?

Asfandyar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi guys when do you guys rebreed your doe ? Secondly every time my female gives kits , one or two of them expire usually in the first week , what could be the problem , THANKS IN ADVANCE !

Alasgun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Alaska! I use to breed 3 times a year but the timing didn’t work out for us, too many time sensitive things going on.
currently i breed the first week of January and the first week of July and am happy.
Im not a big producer; focusing more on the poop than anything else. Yea, we butcher plenty but with just two of us eating them i found out early on that 30 or so rabbits a year is way plenty.
if the litters are large, competition could be the culprit? Our last litters were 12&13 and i culled them to 9 each which i weened over the last couple weeks. All of them survived. Before moving to the relaxed schedule, we’d loose some too along the way.
sometimes less is more and if you are after maximum production then none of this is of any use for you.

Asfandyar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome from Alaska! I use to breed 3 times a year but the timing didn’t work out for us, too many time sensitive things going on.
currently i breed the first week of January and the first week of July and am happy.
Im not a big producer; focusing more on the poop than anything else. Yea, we butcher plenty but with just two of us eating them i found out early on that 30 or so rabbits a year is way plenty.
if the litters are large, competition could be the culprit? Our last litters were 12&13 and i culled them to 9 each which i weened over the last couple weeks. All of them survived. Before moving to the relaxed schedule, we’d loose some too along the way.
sometimes less is more and if you are after maximum production then none of this is of any use for you.
Thanks Alasgun ,great help !

Latest posts