when should i seperate my does from the buck?

hops-the-bunny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
my girlfriend and i just got 3 american dutch bunnies. 2 does and a buck. right now there in a 30" x 36" cage. there around 2 to 3 months. there different colors and i dont want them getting together. when should i seperate them and will they get along for the time being? thanks

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Time to separate now. You should not keep bucks & does together past 3 months of age. Dutch are a small breed and can/will try to reproduce not long after 3 months.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
dbunni said:
Time to separate now. You should not keep bucks & does together past 3 months of age. Dutch are a small breed and can/will try to reproduce not long after 3 months.
x2 I generally separate at 10 weeks to be safe. I also don't breed until they are 6 months old.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You may already be too late. Rabbits will sometimes surprise you on how young they can breed. Early breeding won't harm a buck but it can be bad for does. Raising a litter may be more than they can manage at that age.

debiraymond

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I heard a story recently about a gal that didn't know they should be seperated and the doe, once bred, bit off his man thing.

Seperate early!!!! :lol:

Pancake in the River

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Ya if the doe doesn't want to be bred she can "mess up" the buck with one nasty bite :sick
You should seperate them soon :lol:

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
On a serious note, basically for the health and well being of your rabbits, you should separate the doe and the buck kits as early as possible. As Hoodat stated, does can conceive at a very young age, which is NOT healthy for them or their kits. Also aggressive behavior can occur between does as well as does and bucks.

If you plan to make them pets, maybe consider neutering the male and put him in with a doe? I think that would be better than putting two attached does together?

Hope all is well. Let us know how it's going. :)

4-H forever!<3

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I know this sounds gross, but you can tell if a male rabbit is mature by how "developed" it is in its vent area. However, they can sometimes breed before they develope. The easiest solution is to separate them as soon as they are weaned from their mother. I also recommend keeping two attached does together over a male and a female.