When should the bag fill on a first freshener?

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi all -

We bought a 2 year old LaMancha a little over a month ago and we were told that she was due to kid at the end of June or early July. She looks pregnant from the sides (she was very thin when we got her), but she doesn't have anything going on in the "dairy case" except for a couple of teats, which tend to be standard issue on a doe. Should something be happening by now, or should I question the belief that she is pregnant? Thank you for your help and advice!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
if she is bred like they say.she should start bagging up anytime.an she may wait a week before kidding an bagg up. :welcome

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Most of mine start to bag up 4-6 weeks before kidding, some wait until a week or so before, and I've had 1 not bag up at all.
There's no real formula for when they'll bag up, since like w/ people, ea. one is different.
I'd be a little doubtful if you can feel NOTHING at all going on this close, though.
But, I've been wrong a time or 30 in my life, too...

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My saanen waited until after birth to bag but my nubian was a month prior to birth and huge after. Guess you never know.

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We had a Nigerian kid yesterday and she bagged up 5 weeks ago. The next one to kid has bagged a little, but it is better for me to feel for the mams on her (besides that she loves it) The mammarys should get bigger, then when all is really close they produce milk (colostrum). Have fun waiting!

Chris