When to Give Vaccinations?

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right forum, but...

Quick question: When should I give my expecting goat mother vaccinations and worming medicine? I think I read somewhere that is was two weeks before she was due, so that she could pass on antibodies and all of that good stuff, but.... I just wanted to check.
And would that include worming medicine, or just vaccinations?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
30 days prior is better. Worming -- be careful as some types can harm the fetus. I use herbal dewormers when needed during lactation, no withdrawal of milk. When drying up, generally early winter, I use a paste or liquid shot, normally Ivermectrin.

Once they kid, that can cause activity for worms, so some deworm right after kidding.

BUT since I have rotational pasture and good fecals, I don't worm a great deal as there is no need. We get chemical resistant worms due to using too much of such things. So, I try to do all I can to keep things at bay naturally.

Shots (CDT) given annually and usually co-ordinated with kidding. Youngsters, wethers, etc., that depends on age & last vaccine date. That's my method. Others may do differently.

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a question on this... My girls are now about 30 days out from kidding, but the previous owner gave them their Bar Vac the day we bought them, which was in January. Should I give them another dose so soon for the benefit of the kids, or is that going to be too much?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a question on this... My girls are now about 30 days out from kidding, but the previous owner gave them their Bar Vac the day we bought them, which was in January. Should I give them another dose so soon for the benefit of the kids, or is that going to be too much?

hmm...not sure on that as we usually give them their yearly CD&T to go with kidding. Let me tag a few others for you
@OneFineAcre @Southern by choice @Goat Whisperer @goatgurl

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! Just wanted to be sure I didn't overdo it.