When to help? Update: Supplementing?

Critter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a boer doe in labor. I think today is day 153. She has had the long amber discharge since 3:00 or so this afternoon. She had separated herself from the herd, bag is full, ligs gone, so I put her in a smaller enclosure with a kidding stall. She doesn't seem to be actively doing much at all, much unlike the other labors I've seen. Her belly is huge and she's been laying down acting miserable a ton the last few weeks and today is no different. I don't really see her having many contractions or trying to push much. I was concerned there might be a malpresentation causing labor to stall so I finally decided to try to go in to see what was presenting. I have two front feet not too far in and what feels like is the corresponding head just past them. Baby kept jerking its feet away and was opening and closing its mouth. I tugged on it a little but mom wasn't really pushing with me and I didn't want to hurt her so I stopped. Immediately after she was looking around and vocalizing like she thought she might have pushed a kid out and was trying to find it. She finally started having visible contractions, would lay down and push a couple of times, and then stand back up again. She did this for 10 or 15 minutes, and now she's just been standing there, though at least she's contracting. After about 10 minutes of standing, she did lay down, gave one half-hearted push, looked at her belly, and then stood up again. Should I go in again?

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How long do you think she has been in active labor, and is she acting distressed? Labor can take a long time for certain does... Do you suspect any calcium deficiencies ect?

Critter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Honestly she's acting pretty casual. There really hasn't been much activity with her labor which is what was concerning me. I noticed the first long string of amber discharge probably 8 or 9 hours ago, and it has continued since then but I didn't notice many contractions at all until after I checked her about an hour ago. She seemed to be fully dilated then, as I didn't have trouble going in. She doesn't really seem distressed. She's standing there chewing her cud and occasionally vocalizes or stretches her back. With my other goats most of them were not showing labor signs aside from udder/ligs but then had kids on the ground by my next check an hour or two later so this is worrying me.

Critter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I forgot to answer about deficiencies. I don't suspect any, but I'm not sure what to look for. The goats are on pasture that also has a wooded area for browse and they have loose minerals. They also get a small amount of pelleted goat feed once a day.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just saw this and I am hoping that it is all resolved but I would go back in and pull the kid.

Critter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
After watching her just stand there for a while I decided I needed to assist so I got my husband to come and hold her. She had trips, buck, doe, buck. All were correctly presented, but kid #2's sack was trying to come out with kid #1. I ended up assisting with them all. The doe is tiny compared to the bucks, but definitely the most fiesty. Mom hadn't really even gotten to cleaning her yet and she was already up and looking for a teat. Boy #1 has been up but doesn't seem very eager to nurse, I'm sure being stuck like he was for so long was tough on him. I was able to get a little into him once Mom was motivating him. Boy #2 seemed very floppy at first but when I picked him up a little was very vigorously trying to nurse and was up when I got back after going into the house for the iodine and some selenium gel. The first pic has the doe on the left and buck #1 on the right and the second picture is buck #2

Critter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just went out and weighed them. Buck #1 8.8 lbs, Doe 6.8 lbs, Buck #2 9.6 lbs. I knew the poor girl was carrying a load!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
That was a full tummy! But they are pretty average weights for the kids mine usually produced. The trips was the load as they generally have twins. Not as often trips with the Boers.
Good looking -- nice job!

Now Nigis -- they just have litters :lol:

Critter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That was a full tummy! But they are pretty average weights for the kids mine usually produced. The trips was the load as they generally have twins. Not as often trips with the Boers.
Good looking -- nice job!

Now Nigis -- they just have litters :lol:
Yes, the boys were pretty much the same weights as what my doe who had twins had this year - I was a little surprised they weren't all smaller since there were 3.

Oh my, I don't know what I'd do with Nigis!