When to let sheep eat planted oats?

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Newbie question: on a whim, I picked up a bag of Plotspike Oats and scattered the seed in my former chicken run (still enclosed so my goat/sheep/kune kune herd can’t get to it and WELL-FERTILIZED!). It is growing nicely and already about 3” tall. At what point do I let them in to eat it? I’ve never grown anything for my animals (heck, I’m still a very novice gardener of traditional things!), and I realized I have no idea what to do now. Ha! I’m doing more as an experiment for me and a treat for them as it’s not a big area, but I’m always trying to learn new things. Thanks!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Newbie question: on a whim, I picked up a bag of Plotspike Oats and scattered the seed in my former chicken run (still enclosed so my goat/sheep/kune kune herd can’t get to it and WELL-FERTILIZED!). It is growing nicely and already about 3” tall. At what point do I let them in to eat it? I’ve never grown anything for my animals (heck, I’m still a very novice gardener of traditional things!), and I realized I have no idea what to do now. Ha! I’m doing more as an experiment for me and a treat for them as it’s not a big area, but I’m always trying to learn new things. Thanks!

I'd graze it before it hits the "boot" stage, let it regrow and graze it again later on.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score