When to retire brood doe?

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So my castor doe had her 3rd litter that was weaned approx a month ago. She looked very thin, saggy dewlap, and just looked worn out. So I've not rebred her yet, giving her a chance to recharge. But she looked so drained compared to the other doe I got at the same time that's had the same number of litters. I want to breed her once or twice more before getting rid of her because she's thrown such beautiful colors (red, blue, opal and lynx) and her offspring are doing very well at the shows. Her blue daughter has 2 legs now! And her recent broken red daughter is getting fabulous remarks as a junior (this last litter). I didn't want to make this type of decision yet. Sigh. Thoughts?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old is she ? How big was her last litter?
And I would suggest a good break before rebreeding.

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She's a year and a half old, her last litter was 6, but the previous litters were 8. I've been waiting to rebred after the litters are weaned for a week or 2, so approx 8 to 10 weeks after birth.

The latest litter is now 15 weeks old. She's looking better, her weight is good 8 lbs 9 oz, but she is still looking raggedy and tired for lack of better word.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would give a good 2, 3 months minimum break of no kits or bring pregnant. Be aware she may not settle again until Spring. I know many people breed back quickly but I like them to have breaks so deal with them not always settling the first time I rebreed.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had does back in the day that went 4 or more years having between 4-6 litters a year. Currently, since getting back into rabbits two years ago August after being out twenty years, I have two does that were juniors then and plan to go with them at least a couple more years if possible. Another doe I use is out of one of these older doe's first litter after I received her.

If you're not keeping up meat productions, the size litter isn't as important, is It? It seems like a lot of work recycling a doe's spot after a year and half. In the end, it's up to you, but maybe just give her some time to rest up and reevaluate her nutrition levels.