When to send to slaughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Learning is always good. You never know everything and there is always something more to learn. While I knew that dress out is about 50% on everything except hogs, I certainly didn't know that the head and hide of a 1600 lb. steer could weigh as much as 400 lbs!
:ep

On the other hand, learning the yield in lbs. of meat before buying an animal on the hoof might be a necessary thing to do.

One year the neighbor who buys lambs from me said that my price of $200 for a finished 120 lb. lamb was too high and the butcher fee was too high. He wanted me t ask Kent t lower his price and me to lower mine.

I don't have any pasture on my 6 acres, and only forage when we have a wet winter here in southern California, so all my sheep are raised on alfalfa and some grain. At the time he complained, I was rising Dorsets and creep feeding on hay and grain.

I went back through my costs of feed and figured what it cost for the time the lamb was eating - not during pregnancy, just the 5 months it took to get the Dorset lamb to 120 lbs. I broke down y costs for him and he was getting the lamb for about $.05.10/lb. after cost of feeding. I told him that he didn't need to buy my lambs since we were happy to eat them all ourselves. He did not complain after that, and has bought one or 2 per year ever since.

Most people don't know what it costs to turn out a good meat animal, and don't believe you when you tell them. This is because they wouldn't do all that work for what you make on the animals. Most of them can't understand why you do it.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
We received a few reports on multiple posts in this thread that were political. There's some great info and discussion mixed with stuff that shouldn't have been posted... so after some discussion, it's been decided to leave the posts, but lock the thread as a reminder to keep political comments off of our forum.

We wish there was a way to allow for all discussions all the time, but every time we feel we can relax the rules, we get flooded with reports... which creates a bunch of drama in the community and work for our team.

So, we weigh the pros and cons of allowing these discussions... and it's clear that the cons outweigh the pros.

Again, we'd LOVE to see all discussions and zero drama or reports, but that's clearly not possible with some topics, like politics.

Thanks to all those that keep the rules and avoid replying to topics / posts they take issue with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts