When to separate hiefer/bull to prevent early breeding?

MasAhora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our 4 hiefers are around 7ish months old, the young bull with them is around 12 months old.

I understand it is best for the hiefers if they are 12-14 months old before they get pregnant. When should I separate them from the young bull?

MasAhora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The girls are just weaned/separated from mama 3 days ago ... so I am not clear why they be ready.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
They should be separated from a bull as soon as they are weaned. Some breeds, like jerseys can come into heat at 6 months. They can start to cycle at very young ages. No, they should not be bred that young of course. I had a heifer at about 8-9 months , weaned her with a bunch of others, and then she starts to get fatter and bag up and by the time I realized she could be pregnant, compliments of the neighbors bull since we only leave ours in for 90 days to control our calving window; it was too late to abort her. She calved at just under 18 months. Luckily it was small, she did fine but she will always be a bit small because her growth was stunted. I waited to rebreed her after I weaned that first calf so she could grow a bit more, and she has done fine but will always be smaller. Her calves grow normally.

Get the bull out, and don't breed them until they are 14-16 months so they calve at about 2 years at the earliest. Their bodies need to grow first before they are also feeding a developing calf inside. Decide when you want the calves, early spring or whatever then back up about 9-10 months and put the bull in with them or breed them A.I.
Don't think you get alot of winter there, but you also don't want a calf when it is miserably hot there either. Fly borne diseases and heat stress are as bad or worse than freezing temps.

MasAhora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks farmerjan, your explanation makes it clearer for me. We're separating them today and moving them a paddock that is probably going to be better for them.... providing our neighbours bull sticks with his own herd!!