When to trade out your Ram?

kuntrygirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the do's and don'ts of inbreeding? When do you intervene and not allow the Ram to breed with closely related female sheep (mother, sister, daughter)? How long do you all keep your ram and allow him to breed with his mother, sister, daughter, etc? When should I trade my ram and get a another non-related Ram?

Thanks for any suggestions.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
If you're breeding for terminal lambs, then sometimes close breeding might not be a big issue. Sometimes you may have issues you don't even want in terminal lambs, like parrot mouth, slow growth rate, etc.

Most breeders do not want to inbreed at all, so they keep a few different rams and sell/buy new ones when they have too many related daughters.

If you're trying to get specific results, you can sometimes breed closely to get those results, but just remember if the good traits are multiplied, then so are the bad ones.

I'd go ahead and get new rams in when you have too many related ewes to breed back to the ram. Or just get a second ram and use him for the other ram's daughters.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
To clarify, "terminal lambs" means "you are not going to breed them and don't expect anyone else will", i.e. generally "ends up at the auction or in your freezer".

Pat

kuntrygirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I appreciate that. To give you a little history about my reasons for having sheep.... I started off as just having them as pets years ago and slowly progressed to selling my sheep and I have also butchered a ram before........So, my goal at this point is to sell my sheep and to butcher a ram yearly or as needed when I have too many. I hope that I don't offend anyone because of me butchering my animals for food for my family. Sorry if I do. :(

So with that said........this is what I decided to do and the reason why.

My 3 ewes delivered a total of 4 lambs this year (2011). The ram in question is the father to all of the lambs. They delivered on Jan 1, 2011 (single birth male) Jan 3, 2011 (single birth male) and Jan 24, 2011 (twins- male & female). So, I have more than enough males (new borns) for future breeding. The ram in question was the only male before now. So, my Ram will be going to the butcher today.

I thought about trading him but I don't need another Ram. I have 3 males (new borns) right now. So, this ram that will be going to the butcher will provide food for me and my family (small family) for another year as did the last ram that I butchered. We had meat for 10 months. I always cry when one has to go but I have no choice.

Do you all think this is a wise decision? Any comments?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
kuntrygirl said:
Thanks for the information. I appreciate that. To give you a little history about my reasons for having sheep.... I started off as just having them as pets years ago and slowly progressed to selling my sheep and I have also butchered a ram before........So, my goal at this point is to sell my sheep and to butcher a ram yearly or as needed when I have too many. I hope that I don't offend anyone because of me butchering my animals for food for my family. Sorry if I do. :(

My 3 ewes delivered a total of 4 lambs this year (2011). The ram in question is the father to all of the lambs. They delivered on Jan 1, 2011 (single birth male) Jan 3, 2011 (single birth male) and Jan 24, 2011 (twins- male & female). So, I have more than enough males (new borns) for future breeding. The ram in question was the only male before now. So, my Ram will be going to the butcher today.

I thought about trading him but I don't need another Ram. I have 3 males (new borns) right now. So, this ram that will be going to the butcher will provide food for me and my family (small family) for another year as did the last ram that I butchered. We had meat for 10 months. I always cry when one has to go but I have no choice.

First off, nobody will get offended that you're raising your own meat! We think it's great! :)

Here's my opinion, and you can take it or leave it. ;) Since the ram lambs born this year will be related to at least 2 of your ewes (his mom and the twin ewe lamb), I would not use one of them for breeding. If you plan on breeding your ewe lamb this fall I would sell or trade one of your ram lambs for a new, unrelated ram. If you plan on waiting until next year for your ewe lamb to be bred as a yearling, I would keep your ram and use him again this fall. It's easiest to get unrelated rams than it is to keep a ram and not be able to use him on ALL your ewes.

You've got enough rams to keep one for meat and sell the rest (or put them all in the freezer if you wanted).

Just some other ideas for you to ponder. :)

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day KG,I assume you are 'breeding 'meat sheep, is the breed commonly kept in your area(so you can acquire new blood lines easily)?........Seeing as you only got 'one ewe' lamb it would be my choice to join him again to the 3 ewes,hoping for some more ewe lambs next time..............Did he produce lambs true to type?.........I would 'cut or band 'the 3 ram lambs from this years drop,grow them out so you can access his progeny.......How old are the mothers?...Are they a good example of the breed?.............Did they lamb easily and what is there milk supply like?.............In your first post you inquired about 'close 'joining,it has been our experience that as long as the ewe and ram are not close already(did you purchase the flock from the one breeder?)....If not you can breed father to daughter if you wish to "fix" certain characteristic's,but the resulting daughter's should be joined to another 'blood line 'whose 'gene's' you wish to bring into your flock...........The key to breeding is for each generation to be better than the preceding one..........This of course assumes that you are sticking to 'one 'breed and not x-breedig for a composite result........................Hope the above has been of some value,I would discuss your options with a farmer nearby whose opinion you 'respect

.......................T.O.R.........................

kuntrygirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
kuntrygirl said:

First off, nobody will get offended that you're raising your own meat! We think it's great! :)

Here's my opinion, and you can take it or leave it. ;) Since the ram lambs born this year will be related to at least 2 of your ewes (his mom and the twin ewe lamb), I would not use one of them for breeding. If you plan on breeding your ewe lamb this fall I would sell or trade one of your ram lambs for a new, unrelated ram. If you plan on waiting until next year for your ewe lamb to be bred as a yearling, I would keep your ram and use him again this fall. It's easiest to get unrelated rams than it is to keep a ram and not be able to use him on ALL your ewes.

You've got enough rams to keep one for meat and sell the rest (or put them all in the freezer if you wanted).

Just some other ideas for you to ponder. :)
Thank you very much for your opinion. You're right. More good ideas to ponder.

barredcountrycoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am in the same situation kuntrygirl. i originally bought 1 ram and 2 ewes. i now have 2 additional rams both born of my ram and two of my ewes and two additional ewes. since i bought the original ram i do not have an exact age for him, he's probably not but three or four but i don't want to keep him too long and in fact have some one that wants him now. i only intend to keep 1 ram and four ewes. my 8 month old ram is beautiful, and i want to keep him, however one of the ewes is his mother. I've been told it wasn't a big problem although i really don't want to breed him with his mother, i am looking to see if i can trade his mother for another unrelated ewe to avoid any problems.

kuntrygirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
barredcountrycoop said:
I am in the same situation kuntrygirl. i originally bought 1 ram and 2 ewes. i now have 2 additional rams both born of my ram and two of my ewes and two additional ewes. since i bought the original ram i do not have an exact age for him, he's probably not but three or four but i don't want to keep him too long and in fact have some one that wants him now. i only intend to keep 1 ram and four ewes. my 8 month old ram is beautiful, and i want to keep him, however one of the ewes is his mother. I've been told it wasn't a big problem although i really don't want to breed him with his mother, i am looking to see if i can trade his mother for another unrelated ewe to avoid any problems.
Hey there! Glad to see that you are from Louisiana. What city? Sorry to hear that you are in the same situation with me. Unfortunately, I processed my adult ram this weekend. He is in the freezer now. I brought home 74lbs of meat.

The only other problem is that I now have 3 ram lambs and 1 ewe lamb and I will only be able to keep 1 ram lamb. I will have to either sell the other 2 ram lambs when they are old enough or process them as well. It's a difficult decision to make but I know that it has to be done. That will be too many rams with the ewes and too closely related. I REALLY want to get rid of all of the ram lambs and get an unrelated Ram (if I can find a quality ram).

I see that your signature says that you have Blackbelly Barbado. Do you sell any of your males?

Keep us informed on what you decide to do.

Glad to see another Louisiana friend on this site.

barredcountrycoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would certainly sell one. I have a beautiful 4 year old ram that someone has already asked about buying. I also have a four month old that is looking good. I will try to get a pic of him and download for you to see. My blackbellies are Texas Barbados Blackbelly. I will try to get pics of them online for you to look at. If you are interested I am quite sure we can work out a deal that would be satisfactory. We are not trying to make a living on them, we keep them for pleasure, what we sell pays for some of the feed. Haven't processed any to the freezer yet, but will. I love lamb chops and actually anxious to taste blackbelly. I understand it is quite tastey. HOwever if you have need of a ram I would much prefer to send him to you then eat him ,lol. I'll try to get you pics of him , mom and dad.