When to trade out your Ram?

Dean.Collins

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
As for culling the smaller ones--keep in mind those may be twins or triplets, which is a desirable trait in most flocks.
Good point

So last question....if you have 1500 ewes do you using "lambing pens" how do you ensure orphans dont happen where a ewe wanders off?

goodolboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We currently have 250 registered Katahdin ewes. We used 6 different rams this year. Yes all in seperate paddocks. All seperated by wolven wire fencing(a ram will go thru electric). All of my rams are color coded in my computer so all of the rams lambs end up color coded the same. this keeps us from cross breeding any ewes in the future. When we remove a ram from the flock, I just remove the color from his ewe lambs. This is working really good for us.

With commercial flocks(most lambs going to the meat market) they will put multiple rams in the flock for compition between the rams. This helps to get the lambing done in a shorter time.

Dean.Collins

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
goodolboy said:
We currently have 250 registered Katahdin ewes.
With 250 ewes do you pen them up for lambing in a barn under lights etc?

goodolboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
"lambing pens"? Raise Katahdins. They're the best mothers by far. No putting the ewes up or anything, all of our ewes field lamb.

Sterile rams are handled by a know performer. A new ram is used for 30 days then taken out and the ewes are put in with a clean up ram(proven ram). Dates are all noted so you know when the lambs are born who the sire is. No lambs, He's sterile. Low lamb count get rid of him what ever the problem.

pinoak_ridge

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Goodolboy, I love your quote....
"lambing pens"? Raise Katahdins. They're the best mothers by far. No putting the ewes up or anything, all of our ewes field lamb.
:D

Lambing pens?? what are lambing pens. :p Kathdins all the way!! :thumbsup :weee :bun

Latest posts