when will i get a horse?

bella1210

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i want a horse too but my dad says they much work and there is not much room for a horse. :hit

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Meme, it is better to wait until you or your parents really can afford it. I know how hard it is because I had the same feeling at your age.

But the thing is this. The most important thing for you is to do well in school. Don't plan on having Mommy and Daddy, or a rich husband, or some wealthy secret admirer, make it happen for you. Be independent. Make it happen yourself. If you rely on anyone else but your self, remember, it all can be taken away from you in a second, because the other person decides that is what they should do at that moment.

It's hard to think this way right now, but the most important thing you can do for yourself, is get a good education and be ready to go out in the world and get a good job. Something that pays really well, like a nurse, doctor, business person or computer person, a veterinarian, something like that. That can even mean college. Oh no, you say, not wait even longer!

No, it's not about waiting. You can take lessons, you can work in barns as a working student. There is so much to learn. In even just a year you will learn so much.

I became a much, much better rider by having lessons and working in different barns as a teen and college student. The last two years of college, I did not ride at all. It seemed like that time lasted 4,081,893,108 years, but it meant that I did better in college and I knew every second, the harder I worked at getting an education the more I could have my own horses. I also still rode in the summer, so it was not like 'never'. And I rode EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. In fact you get so much more experience and skill NOT just riding one horse.

Too, if you had a horse, the cost of keeping it would mean no lessons. And what you need as a young person if you want your life to be about horses, is lessons. Get your riding skill up there, and do well in school - prepare for a whole LIFETIME with horses, without someone saying, 'no, that costs too much' and 'no'. Make it so you can show, foxhunt, trail ride, whatever you want, on your own.

If you can ride well, people will pay you to train their horses, or work them, that's another thing lessons give you. You will never run out of horses to ride. But the key is to get really good. And the way to do that is lessons and working with good trainers and instructors.

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well I am 12, people say im very mature for my age, probably so,but my mom grew up with horses, so we always had horses. My mom cant live without them-Really. She would go crazy. Thats her lively hood. Thats the reason she gets up so early in the morning, to go to our boarding stables and just hang out with the horses. While Im saddling up to go on a quick trail ride,I ask her Why she isnt riding,and she simply replies "Sometimes I just dont feel like it,but riding or not its a joy to be around them." There was some times when we were having financial problems a while back,and she had to sell her baby,an appaloosa mare by the name of Sugar. My mom was devastated,but her family came first. Then we got back into horses about 4 years ago,and havent looked back since. I got my first horse about 2 1/2 years ago,she was a 3 yr old grulla quarter horse,now 5,but she was the calmest and most willing horse ever. I can do anything with her,I have taught her so many things,just by myself. In addtion to her,we now have a 8yr blue roan TW gelding,a 4 yr old morab gelding,a 13 yr old arabian cross gelding,and a 2 yr old Minature stallion.
So I was lucky,and was pretty much born into it. But I still work hard. Whenever I can Im helping out at our boarding barn(the owner is a very dear friend,she takes care of 20+ horses and the barn by herself!) I muck out stalls,I clean up the Arena,I feed the horses,let them in,let them out,water them,even groom some of them,without being told,with out being ask,and without being paid. So theres some things you can look into.
I think I would not be the person I am today, without horses. So all I can really say is-Work hard,and dont even dare give up your dream!
If you live in Ohio, PM me and you are more than welcome to come to our barn and ride. We have several horses for lease too. Its a wonderful place. Visit our website!
http://hide-awaystables.webs.com/

Avalon1984

Just born
Reaction score
bella1210 said:
i want a horse too but my dad says they much work and there is not much room for a horse. :hit
Your dad is right and I am sure he cares a lot about you. Horses can be expensive and time consuming. I am sure your dad knows how much you love horses and enjoy your lessons but maybe he just doesn't have the money and it wouldn't be right to demand for a horse when your parents are having a hard time paying the bills. Even if that isn't the case, horse ownership is not for everybody. I had to give up a lot of priviliges once I had horses. If you read people's comments here, a lot of them did not buy their first horse until they were well in their twenties. At that time you usually start making your own money, have an idea of what you want in life and once their plans take shape they realize whether or not they are ready for a horse. Enjoy your lessons for now as this means you can go home at night not having to worry about feeding, cleaning or paying for the vet bills of the horse you ride :)

Latest posts