When you sell registerable goats...

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
When you sell your registerable goats do you pay for the registration fee?

When I bought my Kiko buck I expected to pay the registration fee but instead the breeder wrote me a check for the amount that it costs to register the goat. I thought that was rather classy and wish more people did that if they are advertising registered stock that is yet to be registered.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I sell my registered stock WITH the registration papers. I cover the costs and make sure its all ready when someone comes to pick up their kid. I wouldn't make as much money on that goat if I couldn't sell it as registered so I definitely cough up the $5-$10 to get the paperwork before they are bought.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
rebelINny said:
I sell my registered stock WITH the registration papers. I cover the costs and make sure its all ready when someone comes to pick up their kid. I wouldn't make as much money on that goat if I couldn't sell it as registered so I definitely cough up the $5-$10 to get the paperwork before they are bought.
With the Kiko registries you can sell them with an application for registration and the transfer.
http://www.nationalkikoregistry.com/NKR_Forms/NKR Registration Application.pdf

Like that there. Most Kiko breeders sell the goat with that so you may register it and you pay the money. I thought is was neat that he wrote a check that covers the registration cost.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I stopped paying to register goats because a good half of the people who buy them from me, never do anything at all w/ the paperwork.

I have 6 goats still under my name w/ ADGA that I sold over the years that nobody ever bothered to transfer. Probably that many boers as well.

I dunno how many goats I've bought that were still in a 3rd person's name (the person I bought them from 'owned' them, but never put them in their name, they still had the signed-over papers from when they bought them). I stopped paying to register them several years ago after I realized what was happening.

I'm crazy obsessed w/ keeping accurate paperwork but apparently that's not the norm.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I fill out all of the paperwork but buyers are responsible for the fees. Like Roll farms said, a lot don't bother registering them and don't belong to any association so I leave it them if they want to.

Meat Goats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
hmm interesting.

I guess that makes sense and is a valid reason.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
But *if* the new owners decide they aren't going to transfer them....ever...for whatever reason....then the money you spent registering that animal is wasted.

Meat Goats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
But *if* the new owners decide they aren't going to transfer them....ever...for whatever reason....then the money you spent registering that animal is wasted.
Yep. Makes sense. I was talking more along the lines of someone wanting registered goats and in their name and people are selling them and calling them registered but they are yet to be and they make you pay for them.

Latest posts