Where did you get your LGD?

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
TexasShepherdess said:
Guilty of craigslist! LOL

I realized I was taking a chance..but so far, Im two for two! Angel was guarding sheep and goats her whole life..just didnt melt well with her former owner's new chickens.

Halo came from a breeder..I got to meet and see her father, mother and brother..they were guarding dairy goats.
I think I may have seen angels ad on CL. Did the ad state that she was not good with chickens? I saw one recently like that. Glad you've had good luck finding your dogs there. So many here in Texas needing good homes.

Mzyla

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My Great Pyrenees male I purchased from TN goat Farm. He was shipped to me by private carrier.
They have Male and Female pure GP working on their farm. The parents originated from long line of registered GP from different States.
On year they happen to have puppies. They didn't bother with keeping up with the registration and I didn't care for that.

My Female Karakachan was delivered to me by my friend (18-th wheeler trucker) from Indiana Farmer/breeder
That was something! At some point he was pleased and happy to have companion for 2 days, but in an end he made me to wash his truck....haha

How did I find these dogs? First I plan. Then I read educational material.....Then I was researching internet; looking for breeders, farmers and I was reading their web pages.
I was corresponding with them, asking questions, asking for pictures and history of parents. Then I placed deposit witch the chosen seller... The seller was updating me, sending pictures how the puppies were growing up....
That whole procedure took several months. Today I have 2 beautiful, healthy working dogs. I'm very pleased with them :)

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would get on the WorkingLGD board at yahoo and ask who there is breeding dogs, or who has dogs they can recommend for you. There are a LOT of people on that board and a LOT of knowledge. They seem to know where everything is

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
RemudaOne said:
TexasShepherdess said:
Guilty of craigslist! LOL

I realized I was taking a chance..but so far, Im two for two! Angel was guarding sheep and goats her whole life..just didnt melt well with her former owner's new chickens.

Halo came from a breeder..I got to meet and see her father, mother and brother..they were guarding dairy goats.
I think I may have seen angels ad on CL. Did the ad state that she was not good with chickens? I saw one recently like that. Glad you've had good luck finding your dogs there. So many here in Texas needing good homes.
Bet that was her sister..that is why they were selling them..not chicken dogs..which is fine by me..I hate birds..:)

Not sure if they both were like that or Angel was just a victim of circumstance...she had afew issues we've since fixed that may have contributed to her behavior...she is really an "angel" with the sheep..so she fits my needs perfectly.

Mzyla

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Many times a person is not able to find suitable (for their needs) dog locally or within reasonable driving distance.
More then likely, that perfect dog is several States away.
Then we are facing transportation issue.

If this could be of help to anybody, here is a link to a Transporter I used:
http://allpawstransport.com/

They did a great job! Dog delivered overnight!
And, if you compare the traveling cost, or flight ticket - this is the cheapest option!

Even though they transporting mainly "Rescue Dogs",
a privately purchased dog can go aboard, as long as the seller provides "Health Certificate"

gretchenann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OK I have one for you...I recently found an 8 week old litter of Pyr./Anatolian cross pups.
Mom is half and half, Dad is full Pyr. both working stock, guarding goats-
They were born in the barn with the goats and are with them now. I pick mine up Friday- I have cows and 1 horse, no goats-
how will I introduce the pup to the horse and cows ? (I have a mature female Pyr. as well)
also, is there much of a temperment difference between full Pyrs and mixed with Anatolians ? I love both breeds but this is a first for me with an Anatolian.
Thanks !

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
RemudaOne said:
[So many here in Texas needing good homes.
i'm in texas and would love to have a good trained lgd for my goats, but don't have the money they're asking for in the ads and will NOT take an unknown rescue. ... .the last time i took in a foster dog, it cost me a goats life (horrid mangled death), three chewed up goats and three dogs put down. so you can understand i'm very wary about what i take in.

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I got mine from a breeder. They had goats, chickens and cows and from the beginning the pups were around animals. I found them on craigslist.

BrandoMan

Just born
Reaction score
I live on the rez so no one really has a "trained" guardian dog but heres what we and I do around here. We get the a young pup and we rub its nose onto the female livestocks vagina. Around here people have sheep. Then we put the pup with the sheep to create a bond. Puppy thinks it is its mom or part of the pack. My dog protects the whole property not just the animals. My dog is a American Pitbull. He still a pup and tries to play with the chickens but he tries to play with them like he would a dog which is no no. lol He is very protective of the family and even though he is still to young to really do much against the rez dogs that want to mess with livestock cause there starving to death he wont backdown. We had a stray dog barking at us and he was scared and whining but as soon as that dog ran at my wife he ran in front of her and was standing his ground ready to protect. He would of got his butt kicked by the much bigger and mature dog but had the drive and protective instinct already to protect us.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
You could ask local producers. We have a commercial sheep company who has LGDs who travel with the flock in the mountains and desert. I remember watching a flock go by once with a bunch of little puppies bobbing around in the flock following the older dogs.