Where did you get your stainless milk pail?

want less

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We returned a stainless milk pail to a company for a replacement because after a few days of gentle use (hot water/clorox cleaning & milking one doe), it started to show pit holes that seeped rust. And then the replacement did the same thing. (paid ~$25 for this pail from a goat supply company)

Meanwhile, we ordered two pails from another place and after a couple of days we are also finding pit holes with seeping rust (these two new pails were made by a different company). (paid ~$10 each for these pails from a livestock supply company... cheap, but they are actually much better quality that the above $25 pail by a long shot even though they too rusted)

:barnie I'm amazed. We are following the fiasco farms cleaning routine (soak in hot water with a splash of bleach for a few minutes, then air dry) with no abrasive scrubbers or cleaners. But if you leave water sitting in them for even a couple of hours tops, you start seeing bubbles of rust forming on the surfaces.

So. Where did you get your pail? I need one that will last but that I don't have to make car size payments on :/ I need a 2qt and a 4-6qt size.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got mine from Hoeggers three years ago. Used it for about 5 months each year, every day. Clean with bleach and water or dishwasher and no problems at all. However, I did pay quite a bit more than 25.00, more like 45.00 for the smallest pail. I also bought a half moon lid for it.

I have a milk machine now so that pail is pretty much in retirement. Love, love, love the machine.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You know Ed I am constantly jealous of your proximity to Sheepman. It's a 45 min drive and EVERY time I order go back and forth 27million times of drive/pay shipping/drive/pay shipping. Back and forth.

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hoegger's. We trust their products and have never had a problem with all the various sizes of stainless steel buckets (or anything else) we've purchased over the years.

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My milking of goats and sheep is done under a roof but open breezes blow through.
So I use a 6 quart stainless steel stock pot that came with a lid.

The lid is very important to keep out contamination while I am milking.

The first freshener goats I milk into a jar and then transfer into the stock pot, so they don't get the chance to
put their foot into the stock pot !

For the sheep, I sit behind them and hold the stock pot with my knees and milk directly into it.

A small bungee cord will make the stock pot lid stay securely in place on the pot as I'm walking back to the house.

This works very well for me and was under $10.

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Got ours from TSC. It's actually a doggie food pail. It's our second one, first one suffered a kicking accident and the bail came off :( $20 I think