where do I go to getting educated

Karl Atkins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
hello,
So now that I have pigs people are asking me to raise pigs for them to butcher. I have a spread sheet to see how much it is costing me to feed a pig. I am wondering if I should breed and raise the pigs for people to butcher. next summer I will probably tell people to go buy a piglet and bring it over for me to raise. I will try to get a few people so that what I charge them will pay for my pig. there is a lot of different topics about breeding on the forum but I have not found any good post about how to get started for the first time and from start to finish. is there a good book or video to show me step by step. I am going to go look for a youtube video to see what I can find thanks for your post in advance.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you asking for a breeding operation or raising feeder pigs? I can't help you with breeding pigs, I have only raised feeder pigs. Raising feeder pigs might be the best way to get started. Then what you spend is pure cost, versus spreading the cost of the sow and boar over the pigs you feed out for others. The last batch of feeder pigs we raised, we spent $117 in feed for each. But we found one of those Craigslist bargains on 4 month old hogs, kept them for 4 months and home slaughtered them.

Karl Atkins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
thank you, I am not sure if I should just get feeder or not just wanting to learn to see what would be best.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Starting with feeder pigs is the best way to go. It lets you get your feet muddy :lol: without the commitment of keeping breeding stock. ;)

Karl Atkins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yep I watched youtube video. I dont know whay anyone would want to breed unless you have a bid operation. waste of money thanks for the repies

Latest posts