Where do I learn show and pre-show techniques? (cattle)

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was heavily recruited last night to show our calves at the local Grays Harbor County Fair (two counties west of me) and since I couldn't think of a valid objection, it looks like I'm in!!!

So...having never done this before, I'm feeling a little anxious about a few things:

1) "Bathing" cattle - how the heck do I do that? And with what? Do they get blow dried and styled, or ?? :D (We are prohibitted by our national association from clipping anything but the bottom line since some big breeders have gone way overboard on that, so I'm not concerned about clipping...just the actual bath.)

2) How do I use a show stick, and how do I practice with one?

3) Do I need fancy halters or will the rope halters I'm using be sufficient?

4) What types of things do I need to bring with me besides hay and a garden hose (for the rest of the calves' 5-day stay there in the Beef Barn)? What types of things are good to have at my display table in the barn?

Thank heavens I have about a month before the big event...it's August 6th for the show and the calves will be there from August 5-9. Help!!!

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Sorry Amy can't help ya there!

Are you only doing the Grays Harbor County Fair?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
amysflock said:
I was heavily recruited last night to show our calves at the local Grays Harbor County Fair (two counties west of me) and since I couldn't think of a valid objection, it looks like I'm in!!!

So...having never done this before, I'm feeling a little anxious about a few things:

1) "Bathing" cattle - how the heck do I do that? And with what? Do they get blow dried and styled, or ?? :D (We are prohibitted by our national association from clipping anything but the bottom line since some big breeders have gone way overboard on that, so I'm not concerned about clipping...just the actual bath.)For holsteins we just washed them with laundry soap (helped get with the white) and then let them dry on their own. Not sure about how to dry them with all that hair.

Show stick for cattle? I've never seen one in use with cattle here so I'm of no help.

You will need a show halter. It's the leather and chain halters. Make sure you do practice some with it at home so they are used to it. Otherwise, when that chain comes up under their chins they may revolt! Neighbor had one that they didn't put the show halter on until just before showtime. It was a full grown holstein cow. She reared in the air and it took 3 grown men to get her back under control--thankfully they were right there and knew cattle!

4) What types of things do I need to bring with me besides hay and a garden hose (for the rest of the calves' 5-day stay there in the Beef Barn)? What types of things are good to have at my display table in the barn? Things to take, bedding, hay, water pails, maybe a bit of grain/treat for emergencies, fork, wheelbarrow, brushes, shampoos, rope and show halter, wash pail, decorations (if they decorate their spots like they do here). Can't think of anything else right now but, will let you know if I do.

For your display table I would take things that you can find telling about their breed but, we never had to do a display table so, I'm not much help here.

Thank heavens I have about a month before the big event...it's August 6th for the show and the calves will be there from August 5-9. Help!!!

If there is a fair between now and then with show cattle, see if you can get there and take a look around and observe what they have with but, also what they are doing. You can learn a great deal this way.

Good luck!

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
amysflock said:

1) "Bathing" cattle - how the heck do I do that? And with what? Do they get blow dried and styled, or ?? :D (We are prohibitted by our national association from clipping anything but the bottom line since some big breeders have gone way overboard on that, so I'm not concerned about clipping...just the actual bath.)

You can bathe them with any type of soap really. Tide works great for stains, but watch out for dry skin. using Mane & Tail is great because its meant for horses skin. Lil expensive though. Rub em down and lather them like a dog. Believe it or not- they'll like a nice massage. Rinse well :)

This can be tricky for some animals to get used to. Have it around every time you take the animal out so they know it is associated with you. Rub it down their sides gently, again in a soothing manner so they don't get skiddish when it comes near them. They reccomend you rub their bellies with the "hook" part and this soothes them, but my heifers didn't always like that so I just rolled it and didn't use the hook. You must be gentle with the pointed end and only use when necessary. I always trained my calves to stop with their front feet square right away so I wouldn't have to use the stick. All you do with the stick then is gently press on the front of the ankle to move the leg back, and use the hook below the dewclaw to move the leg front. This takes practice for the animal to get comfortable standing square. And they will still probably fidget and dance in the ring and drive you nutz!

Show halters are good, they look nice and give you extra control since the calves will be in a surrounding they arn't used to. Mine always seemed to enjoy trying to play in the sawdust since its usually the first time they see it.

4) What types of things do I need to bring with me besides hay and a garden hose (for the rest of the calves' 5-day stay there in the Beef Barn)? What types of things are good to have at my display table in the barn?

Really just hay, feed, and straw(if they dont provide it) Brushes and buckets for washing. Since you don't have to clip, that makes it easier! If it's hot you might want a fan, most barns have like no air movement through them. Your calves would probably appreciate it specially since they won't be clipped. Oh yeah, Fork and wheelbarrow for cleanin up. You can make name tags for your calves, people enjoy seeing that.

Honestly I'm doing the same thing right now and restocking! lol You'll be fine and you can always ask your AG agent for the lowdown.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
1) "Bathing" cattle - how the heck do I do that? And with what? Do they get blow dried and styled, or ?? :D (We are prohibitted by our national association from clipping anything but the bottom line since some big breeders have gone way overboard on that, so I'm not concerned about clipping...just the actual bath.)For holsteins we just washed them with laundry soap (helped get with the white) and then let them dry on their own. Not sure about how to dry them with all that hair.

They make special dryers, you can find them at Nasco.com...Honestly if you have an older vaccume that you can switch the hose to blow instead of suck, that would work also. The special blowers are super nice though :)

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
The most important thing to do at this point is to brush them daily. Brushing will help remove old hair and bring a gleam to the hair that's left.
Also get them used to walking on the show halter.
Add a bottle of baby oil to your show kit to rub on those gorgeous horns and also their hoofs to make them shine.
You are lucky you don't have to clip them!!
Blow dry against the grain of hair to fluff them and make them look beefier where you want them beefy. Tease the tail hair and spray it with hair spray to keep the tease in it for show day.
Oh, it's an art to making up a critter for the fair:) I'd call the local Ag center and ask for any articles on fitting for the fairs.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
amysflock, have you ever checked out this site .24-7 agtv.com has alot of info on show and training I hope it helps

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, guys, and thanks for all the info. Preparation is going ok. I'm havin a hard time getting the calves to stop square with their feet, but will start using the show stick this afternoon. (I will start using their show halters this morning since they came in the mail.)

Annabel seems to have forgotten how to lead and be a lady, so she might need another session tied to the post in the yard to remember. T-Bone actually does pretty well, surprisingly, but he's kind of pokey. :) I did learn really quick to tie one to a tree while practicing with the other, as Annabel followed right behind us during T-Bone's first session, butting him in the behind and running alongside (trying to get him in trouble, I think!). The little stinker!
:p

I'm still quite nervous about the whole thing but grateful I have a couple weeks before the first show and then over a month after that to refine things for the next (big!) show at the State Fair. Whew. I'll check out those links, too...thanks!

Latest posts