Where do you milk your goat?

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We kicked the horses out of our vintage dairy barn when we got back into ND's. We have large pens for the goats, a small hay area, a feed room and the original cement milking area. That's where our milking stand is, so it's easy to clean it up and dump water used in cleaning buckets, etc. down the channel which runs to the outside of the barn. We do have a floor stand fan that we turn on during the hot summer months as it gets pretty warm in the barn.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We are in a rainy climate and I have no barn. I have goat sheds but they are not somewhere I'd want to milk.

So we made a ramp instead of stairs into our laundry room. It is a large room and there is a sink and counter handy. The kitchen and fridge are just around the corner. It works great. The goats are trained to come up the ramp and into the house in the correct order. They have never urinated or left a nanny berry in my house ever.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
my barn has a wall down the middle. one side houses the goats and opens into the pasture. the other half has the milking stand, hay, tools, feed, etc. and opens to the yard/garden.
here is the front of the barn:
goatchutetodoor.jpg

i have a pallet and fence set up as a little chute so i leave the barn door open, walk over to the gate, open it, let the doe out, she walks down the little chute into the barn and hops onto the stand, i shut the gate and go into the barn and milk.
here is the milkstand:
milkstand.jpg

my dad built it years ago when my parents had a small herd of dairy goats. then we milked 6 does, twice a day, by hand. yep yep.

Latest posts