Where to buy?

Vkp23

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I’m looking for the best online (USA) place to buy goat milking supplies. Most places I’ve found have larger herd equipment. I’m looking for equipment for a small herd. I would like to find a very small basic pump with very basic cups (I think that’s what they are called) my idea is to be able to have several sets of the cups so I can quickly change them from one goat to the other so I can keep everyone clean And infection free. Another option would be a way to use a human breast pump if anyone knows a hack for it. My 1.5 yr old quit nursing like 3 months ago but I still have my pump so if anyone knows a hack for converting it to work on a goat would be great also. Thank you!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used both

and

To mail order supplies.

However, the local feed store had some stuff, and the one up the road (2 hours away) was VERY well stocked. For many things it was the best prices to buy from the feed store since I had such a small herd. At the feed store I could buy just 3 syringes and tubes for blood draws... etc.

I tried one milk pump off of ebay, and didn't like it. All of that tubing to clean, and how do you REALLY clean it well anyway???

Milking into a pot or pail, was so much less work for me, and so much easier to truly fully clean.

So, I am no help with your pump questions.

But maybe if you google, some you tube video will pop up showing how to turn a human milk pump into a goat milker.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some depends on goats you have...size teats, etc. Next, I have used a human breast pump...non electric, just hand held and squeeze...and it worked BUT the flow was too much to handle well and bottles too small. (Was fine on mini mare with flatter udder and shorter teat!) That takes you to type machine and type doe. How the containers for milk attach makes a difference. If hosed into a bottle, you have a chance by adapting a screw on cap to a jar.

Also on Amazon, various small herd units are available at favorable prices....read reviews before you buy. Type in pulsating goat milking machine to search engine.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Caprine Supply is one of the best. Also Hoegger's. They are online and carry everything for goats.

If you start milking a LOT of goats then it might be worthwhile to look for a standard cow dairy store within 50 miles. I used to make a monthly run when we were milking 20 (4-H project that became family consuming LOL) for bulk milk cattle grain and supplies in a dairy town abut 50 miles way. Brought home a pickup bed full of grain on tarps and the kids shoveled it into metal bins. Since you feed grain to milk animals pound for pound of milk, it was more economical. Particularly since we sold our buck kids at the auction in that town and then raised calves on the milk after the fair was over and the doe kids weaned. Sold those calves in that town too.

Round trip started right after dropping off children at school. First to the auction to drop off kids or calves, then dairy stores (2) for milking supplies, teat dip, wash, meds, etc., finishing up at feed mill for truck load of bulk grain, then bagged feed for other livestock and poultry on top, tarp all down, and be back in time to pull up outside school at 3:00! One day of livestock shopping instead of every day trips at the feed store spending more money on feed!

Latest posts