Where to find LGD's in Florida?

fastrnrik

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Was just curious if anyone knew any farms or breeders with LGD's in Florida? I am in central FL, and have been looking around for a puppy or two, but haven't had much luck finding any. I did see some GP's on our local craigslist, but I can't find the ad, and honestly craigslist is sketchy sometimes. I would prefer to find them from working stock if I could. I'm not too particular on a specific breed. A GP or Anotolian would be fine, but one of the other LGD breeds would be fine too. I know I can buy one and have it shipped, but I prefer to see my dogs in person before I buy one (yes, I'm weird LOL)

Any info or leads would be appreciated. Thank you!

fastrnrik

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No input? I did locate a breeder here who sells anotolian puppies for $1,500 (ouch) which is not really what I'm after. I will keep looking.

fastrnrik

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you. I tried craigslist. I saw some GP's, but the I can't find the ad (they misspelled pyrenees). I've never heard of hoobly?

That link to that last ad looks good. Thats the same county I live in. I emailed them but haven't heard back. The ad is month or two old, but maybe there's one or two left.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope they do! :) I do worry about a Pyr in Florida though. I have 3 pyrs and 1 anatolian on the property and even here in NC the summer heat is hard on them. Mostly the pyrs, the anatolian does the heat much better. They are usually in heavily wooded areas that are about 10 degrees cooler and they will dig down into the cool earth. If the stream has any water in it or a kiddie pool is set up they are definitely in it.

I would also look in the local papers and if you have an AG Review. Lots of farmers around our parts sell their dogs by word of mouth and paper. They do not use the internet at all, most are old school, old time farmers. They truly raise farm dogs that work! The ones around here do not charge an arm and a leg, they understand farming and a dogs job! Most will only sell to farms.

You also might try a pyr rescue, although too many of them "shudder" at the thought of a dog actually outside doing a job. :idunno
With many people giving up their livestock, foreclosed land etc. these dogs are out there and many are mature working animals.

Just some thoughts.... :)

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. I personally would not have a GP in Florida. I know that there are people down there with them but I would be worried about them in that kind of heat.

fastrnrik

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I had thought about how a pyr would do here, although it's just as hot in the summer in lots of other parts of the country as it is here. There is a guy down the road who has a pyr in with some goats. I've stopped several times to talk to him, but he's never home. Probably working a "real job" to pay for his farming LOL. Jokes, aside, I would think a pyr or whatever, from this area would be somewhat more acclimated to the heat, more so, than say, if I bought one in from up north. All dogs here dig to stay cool, even the short haired leopard dogs we have. We also have 2 large ponds that are in the area where the animals are. Do pyr's like water to cool off?

There is a large pyr club here. They run the rescue as well. They seem pet oriented, but they have a section for working dogs, and in my talking with them so far they seem to be understanding about working dogs and not have an issue with it. I am waiting to hear back from them in regards to what they have available. I tried to adopt an anotolian awhile back from a rescue group in south Florida, and when I mentioned that the dog would be working, they turned me down because it "could be dangerous" LOL. I explained to these kooks that working dogs actually liked to work and he would have a great life, but they would have none of it. Florida is chock full of the silly tree hugging animal rights activist rescue people that have been watching too many ASPCA commercials LOL. Honestly, they just don't know the background of a lot of these dogs, or understand they were bred to work.

Anyway, thank you for all the input so far.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
your last few sentences... :lol: :lol: :lol: Yep! Crazy huh!? You are very correct about a pyr coming from the general area. The dogs way up north are usually larger and heavy heavy coated. So I think pyr's being bred there should have a lesser coat. My pyrs love water to play in. So a pond would be great! Just a suggestion... stay far away from show lines! You might also want to expand your search to neighboring states. Driving a good distance to get a good dog is worth it. The breeder of my pyr boys have people come from GA, SC, TN, VA, WV, MD. Her old male is 15 yrs old and still in the field! He doesn't really work too much anymore but what is strange is you can be along the fencing and not see a single dog and then from out of nowhere the dogs are there. My 2 boys are 11 months and they are now doing the same thing and sometimes I'm doing the double take. Like where'd you come from? SO QUIET..... then WOOF!

Anyway I'm rambling now, I so hope you find your LGD! If you've never had one you are in for a real experience! You will never want any other dog again. I would recommend reading about them because they are completely different creatures, not like other dogs.

Can't wait to see pics of your LGD when he/she arrives.

PetSheep

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Was just curious if anyone knew any farms or breeders with LGD's in Florida? I am in central FL, and have been looking around for a puppy or two, but haven't had much luck finding any. I did see some GP's on our local craigslist, but I can't find the ad, and honestly craigslist is sketchy sometimes. I would prefer to find them from working stock if I could. I'm not too particular on a specific breed. A GP or Anotolian would be fine, but one of the other LGD breeds would be fine too. I know I can buy one and have it shipped, but I prefer to see my dogs in person before I buy one (yes, I'm weird LOL)

Any info or leads would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi I know this post is 4 YO but you are located in the next county so I thought you might be able to give me advise -

I am considering LGD(s) for my two pet sheep - in January I had to put down my two large elderly dogs who were great protectors of the property and the sheep - my sheep were raised in the house and bottle fed - we have many coyotes across the street but the sheep sleep on my deck most nights as they are free roamers of 10+ acres -

I have looked at Florida Great Pyrenees rescue but these dogs all seem to be house dogs - other dogs I have looked at all appear to be in much colder climates -

Any advise would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!