Where to get bees

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello all. :frow So excited to see a place for bee info. I'm hoping and planning on getting into bee keeping this summer.
Was wondering where do you get your bees from? Purchase them? Catch a swarm?
Thanks!

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can purchase package bees, or started colonies, or catch a swarm if you're lucky.
If you are really interested in going this year, get in touch with your local beekeepers association asap, they will help you out.

Get in line soon!

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I purchased my first set of bees from a Beekeeping store. I lost them over their first winter. When I got my 2nd set of bees, I bought them from a local beekeeper. I'm much happier with these bees.

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've heard that local bees do better. Found a place called northwest bee supply, going to check there and also going to call my gpa and ask if he has a bee guy for his berry fields. Bees from the supply place are about 30-40 miles from my house.

D1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
lots of info here

BEESOURCE.COM

Buzz'n Billy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Alicia,
I strongly second the thought of you to getting in contact with a local beekeeper or bee club and look into purchasing a nucleus hive (nuc) from a local producer. Packages can build into strong colonies, but many times they have more queen issues than nucleus hives. Plus, looking at latest prices around the country, nucs are still a bargain compared to packages. Just my .02.

Good luck and I hope you get into and enjoy beekeeping!