Where to put the boys?

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am pretty sure my little doe is preggers now, I have been watching her right side as the book says and it seems to be bigger than the left. High tech approch I know. Anyways so I have a buck and a maybe wether in there with her right now when she kids where am I to put her? She has no sister :( to be with.
Am I suppose to make a seperate pen for her?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
You can leave her with the boys until she's about a month from kidding. At that point, she'll start producing hormones that the boys will mistake for estrus (so they'll start chasing her and trying to breed her, which can cause an abortion).

Go ahead and build her a separate pen adjacent to the boy's pen...feed her in there, then start leaving her overnight...get her used to it before she has to live there. This will make it less stressful for her when the time comes.

I prefer to keep kids away from bucks/wethers until they're at least 2 months old, so make the pen large enough for them to live in there awhile. Especially if she has doe kids, and you plan to keep them - they'll have to be kept away from the buck!

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep I agree with helmsted as its much safer and easier when the time comes and you wont have the others crawling on you either. This way she can bond with her babies and eat what she needs for them, and not have to compete for food.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
She will probably need more food than the wether also, so being separated at night will allow you to leave extra nice quality hay in with her without the wether getting too chunky!

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes the wether is really to fat for a pygmy. I need to find out if he really is a wether or not. he's very sassy and i am not real sure about his parts?? I keep getting mixed views from people. I wonder how old is to old to get fixed if he is intact? i am going to try and contact his previous owners for info. :)
can't wait for babies but I am soo nervous.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
. I need to find out if he really is a wether or not. he's very sassy and i am not real sure about his parts?
Is there anyway for you to get a couple of good pictures from different views and post them so people can see and maybe help you with that? Or, do you have a goat vet or longtime breeder that could take a look at him to tell you?

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes i could take a few pictures of it. I have been told to feel it. I kinda looked close it just is a small round sac. I tried to look up info on pygmys but they don't post rear end pictures alot :).
I have a vet I am taking the doe to but I am not going to take him, I will call the previous owner as soon as I can. he has no horns so I wonder if he is a wether, sorry i know I am not suppose to ramble on, I am just new to goats and i am trying to awnsers.
I'll update when I talk to the owners.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I am certainly far from an expert, but I have always been rather startled at the size of the endowments on even very young bucks. A view from behind leaves no question in my mind.....but again, no expert here. :lol:

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:D
I understand, the other is Definetly intact!
He must be getting use to me because he was following me around and tried to butt me a little.Ahhh
So now I need to look up behaviours of a buck and a female handler. Wish me luck, I can't find anything.