Where to start?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be critical and I haven't read your journal in quite a while so I had no reference to anything else about your new dog other than what you stated here. I didn't mean to offend you, I just happen to agree with what was posted. Of course, I didn't get to see what the admin deleted... But I would be feeling pretty guilty if you did intend to use her as an LGD and if ended poorly and I could have given you a head's up and I didn't.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I LIKE Sadie and she has a very "knowing" look. You say she is smart, has her own quirks, so try to work with those in training her to be a great farm & family dog. As she matures certain tendencies may become more evident.

The one thing that most LGDs seem to display pretty much across the board (from what I have read -- don't own one) is that they decide what they feel is their domain to patrol & protect. So, if she has any LGD blood, that would be something I would be on the alert to help her decide, where the both of you felt she should patrol. LOL. On the flip, look at Mel & LS...house?

We'd love to hear how Sadie progresses. And yes, reading some of the threads that Bay suggested would help you decide if any of those training efforts works for Sadie. If so, great. If not, you have a smart dog who will learn. Talk to her, she has a very keen sense of you & your wanting her to succeed.
If you tell her what & why, she will work with it...keeping it within her own capacity.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is hard to know the "history" of reply when you can't read the entire post. I apologize to @AClark if what I said caused her to feel like she needed to leave BYH. That would never be my intent.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
BTW...LGDs often have selective hearing and 'come' is a suggestion. They are very independent thinkers and that trait can be very frustrating. They also aren't easily bribed so offering treats in reward for good behavior isn't something that comes easily to many of them. My Border Collies will fall over themselves for a treat, not the LGDs.

You might look for a thread called the "The Education of Ben".