Where's his hair?

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello all.
Have a kune kune boar, very happy and relaxed pig.
His hair is falling out when I pet him. No sign of rash, injury, no excessive scratching or rubing on his part. His hair is growing back in in some places.
Here r some pics....
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Alicia 20170821_133825.jpg 20170821_133756.jpg

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would assume he has lice (doesn't really look like mange mites to me) and would treat with injectable ivermectin, in addition to making sure he has a nice disgusting mud wallow ;) Then give him another dose in 14 days to catch the eggs that hatch. You can also give a 3rd dose in another 14 days if hair's not starting to grow back.

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lice....so much fun. :sick thank u for the help, will get meds tomorrow.
He has a very nice mud hole, just refilled so hopefully he will use it soon.
Alicia

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds good, and you can treat for other possibilities at the same time unless you'd like to be scientific about it. The only other thing that comes to my mind is nutritional deficiency, but if he gets fed a complete pig feed I wouldn't worry about that. Possibly an allergy, but seems unlikely. So I would first treat for the most likely culprit, lice, and then if he still looks like this look into some other ideas!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
And of course it could be mange, I've never experienced that so I couldn't say. If that's the case, I think it's transmittable to humans, so be cautious about petting him. And good luck! Let us know how he does.

Latest posts