Where's the Beef?

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey there,Kitty Farmer well christmas came and went. Everything went great here. How was yours I'm finally trying to get back on track. I have my son the comp. master here trying to show me how to post pics. Anyway here is sara and reba. Angus/Charolais and Hereford/Beefmaster. Everyone still says they are small. They are 1yr and 1 month???? What do you think. Oh the leading training is going great!!!! My older son is helping!!!!!As soon as I learn the pics thing I'll send pics of that!!!! Mare

18081_cows.jpg

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They do look small but, the pic doesn't really have something to compare them to.

I would think the Angus/Charolais one would be shorter in stature than the Hereford/Beefmaster. But, not familar with how tall the beefmasters are. Maybe wynedott will join in later and give his opinion. He raises Beefmasters.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well the one I sent on family space is my older son and he is 6'3 and you can see how tall the cow is on his side?????Since he's walking her there back to the coral.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
both heifers look small to me.but then again its a pic.an i really cant tell from a pic sometimes.but id put them on about 6lbs of feed ea.an all the hay they want.an they will grow.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ok, then does that mean they are not healthy. I feed them 1.5 grains each in the moring, and one slab of hay. Then at night I feed another 1.5 each grain,and another slab of hay between both. They eat yard grass all day, and snacks inbetween the day when i go out to say hi to them.

18081_pc270137.jpg

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do they have hay left when you feed them? I would make sure they access to hay all the time-even when on pasture. 1.5 pounds of grain each a day? I would up that, like wynedot said to 6 pounds each a day. Split it between morning and night, at least at first as they are not used to getting that much.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No, They eat all the hay so they don't step on it. I put their hay in a square bucket more like a very large dish pan. And for their grain, it's 3 pds. each cow a day. 1.5 for reba in moring and night and 1.5 for sara moring and night.So i should give them 2 scoops each cow, moring and night. I always make sure they eat all before i go to bed. I don't like to leave any extra food out or hay so i don't have extra animals come around at night.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Leave hay in front of them all the time. You shouldn't have to worry about other animals with the hay.

Up their grain like recommended by wynedot and see how they do. They should grow better. I figure a 6 qt feed scoop per animal per day.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
they both are healthy heifers.an they look great.they just have some growing todo yet.