Which Breed Is Better For Me??

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi again Dolly,

I'm honestly surprised the breeder didn't tell you any of that.
I mean I'm sure that CO's bred in U.S. may be more mellow, but still...

In Finland they made a movie about Caucasian Ovcharka and its past as a military dog.
The movie is called Stormheart and it does have English subs, but the movie itself is very hard to find

Anyway, here's how they describe CO on AKC's website: The Caucasian Ovcharka is indigenous to the mountain regions of the Georgian, Armenian and Azerbaijani Union Republics; the Kabardino-Balkar, Daghestan and Kalmyk Autonomous Republics, and the steppe regions of the northern Caucasus and the Astrakhan district. For hundreds of years the Caucasian Ovcharka (Mountain Dog) has functioned as a guarding dog, herding dog, and historically as a fighting dog. Their faithfulness, protectiveness, and ferocity when called upon to defend is legendary.

And this info is from dogster.com: The Caucasian Ovcharka is one of the oldest surviving Molossers, originating in the Caucasus Mountains between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. Used to guard flocks, the Ovcharka (also known as the Caucasian Mountain Dog) was a formidable guard against predators, trespassers and thieves. Its strength and loyalty has made it a popular working dog, police dog and companion throughout Europe and the Soviet Union.

Well I personally think that if you won't have a minimum of a 6ft fence all around your livestock, then getting a less human aggressive LGD would be a better option to work with.
You know how things work here in U.S....if your dog gets out and bites someone, your dog gets put down, you get sued etc..

A Great Pyrenees is often recommended for first time LGD owners who want a great non human aggressive farm dog.

I've loved CO's from when I was little too, but being that I was born in Eastern Europe I've always known about their temperament :D
To me they are the best breed in the world but only for people who have had plenty of experience with other molosser/LGD breeds

Feel free to ask me any questions you still have, I do hope I'll be of some help.

Dolly1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
you are really going to be up there aren't you, Can you say freeze your butt off. Silk long johns are the warmest for sure
Oh yes! But I love the cold! :lol:

Dolly1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Grazer said:
Hi again Dolly,

I'm honestly surprised the breeder didn't tell you any of that.
I mean I'm sure that CO's bred in U.S. may be more mellow, but still...

In Finland they made a movie about Caucasian Ovcharka and its past as a military dog.
The movie is called Stormheart and it does have English subs, but the movie itself is very hard to find

Anyway, here's how they describe CO on AKC's website: The Caucasian Ovcharka is indigenous to the mountain regions of the Georgian, Armenian and Azerbaijani Union Republics; the Kabardino-Balkar, Daghestan and Kalmyk Autonomous Republics, and the steppe regions of the northern Caucasus and the Astrakhan district. For hundreds of years the Caucasian Ovcharka (Mountain Dog) has functioned as a guarding dog, herding dog, and historically as a fighting dog. Their faithfulness, protectiveness, and ferocity when called upon to defend is legendary.

And this info is from dogster.com: The Caucasian Ovcharka is one of the oldest surviving Molossers, originating in the Caucasus Mountains between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. Used to guard flocks, the Ovcharka (also known as the Caucasian Mountain Dog) was a formidable guard against predators, trespassers and thieves. Its strength and loyalty has made it a popular working dog, police dog and companion throughout Europe and the Soviet Union.

Well I personally think that if you won't have a minimum of a 6ft fence all around your livestock, then getting a less human aggressive LGD would be a better option to work with.
You know how things work here in U.S....if your dog gets out and bites someone, your dog gets put down, you get sued etc..

A Great Pyrenees is often recommended for first time LGD owners who want a great non human aggressive farm dog.

I've loved CO's from when I was little too, but being that I was born in Eastern Europe I've always known about their temperament :D
To me they are the best breed in the world but only for people who have had plenty of experience with other molosser/LGD breeds

Feel free to ask me any questions you still have, I do hope I'll be of some help.
I will look that movie up :D Im am not a big fan of the Great Pyrenees, Ive been hearing they get eaten by wolf packs easily... You are amazing help by the way!!

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you, that's nice to hear!
I'm very passionate about CO's :D

The movie Stormheart is called Myrsky in Finnish. I'm pretty sure they sell it in Amazone.com, but just so you know the acting isn't very good lol
Still the background info the movie provides about CO's is pretty accurate and really helpful to someone who doesn't know that much about the breed yet.

I've heard the same thing about Great Pyr's....I've never had one, especially not as a LGD, so I don't know how well they do against attacks from large predators.

Dogs like for instance Sarplaninac, Tornjak, Anatolian Shepherd/Kangal, Maremma are very successful against large predators in their native land and are often much less human aggressive than CO's.
But of course the wolves in Europe are somewhat smaller than the wolves found in N. America

Btw, if you do decide to get a CO puppy, don't forget to post lots and lots of pictures! ;)

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Grazer said:
Btw, if you do decide to get a CO puppy, don't forget to post lots and lots of pictures! ;)
I second the pictures part.
I know that you are moving way up in Maine and Bears and others are up there too keep in mind that moose hate dogs and will stomp to death given the chance too. Are you going to have lots of neighbors or a place set off by yourself a bit? How socialized do you want your dog. Grazer has made me think twice before recommending a breed that I don't know much about and for that I thank you Grazer. Just because and animal does well in the cold over others doesn't mean it is always the best fit. I am still researching for you though

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks autumnprairie :)
Those are really good questions for any beginning LGD owner.
I forgot to mention the Pyrenean Mastiff; these dogs are in general taller and heavier than CO's and they do just as good in cold weather.
From what I understand although they are suspicious of strangers, they don't react until their family/flock is actually threatened by an outsider.
There is this one breeder (**********, I believe she posts here as well); and she has had some really good results with this breed.
And I think it speaks for itself that all LGD breeds only respect and follow an owner who is consistent, strong and assertive.

Site reference removed by moderator.

Dolly1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Grazer said:
Thank you, that's nice to hear!
I'm very passionate about CO's :D

The movie Stormheart is called Myrsky in Finnish. I'm pretty sure they sell it in Amazone.com, but just so you know the acting isn't very good lol
Still the background info the movie provides about CO's is pretty accurate and really helpful to someone who doesn't know that much about the breed yet.

I've heard the same thing about Great Pyr's....I've never had one, especially not as a LGD, so I don't know how well they do against attacks from large predators.

Dogs like for instance Sarplaninac, Tornjak, Anatolian Shepherd/Kangal, Maremma are very successful against large predators in their native land and are often much less human aggressive than CO's.
But of course the wolves in Europe are somewhat smaller than the wolves found in N. America

Lol then the movie will keep my attention if its bad acting it will be a little funny! :lol: Im still researching (in my free time) about the COs, Boz Shepherds, Kangals, and Anatolian shepherds. Its hard for me to compare them all because I love and want a CO so much! :D

Dolly1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
Grazer said:
I second the pictures part.
I know that you are moving way up in Maine and Bears and others are up there too keep in mind that moose hate dogs and will stomp to death given the chance too. Are you going to have lots of neighbors or a place set off by yourself a bit? How socialized do you want your dog. Grazer has made me think twice before recommending a breed that I don't know much about and for that I thank you Grazer. Just because and animal does well in the cold over others doesn't mean it is always the best fit. I am still researching for you though
I will post pictures of everyone on the ranch, Im a pictures fein!! :p In Colorado we have a lot of deer, bears, wolves, and coyotes. I didnt know moose would go after a dog. Im going to be on about 80 acres maybe more. I am house hunting this summer, and hopefully going to move later this year or next summer. Well I want my dog(s) to be socialized, I go to the Farmers Market weekly and want to take 1 with me (rotating between each dog), plus I have family that will visit a lot, and my kids' friends when they are older, along with customers coming to my farm to pick up their milk or chicks. I know COs are territorial so maybe if I get one he can guard the house and Ill have a different breed out in the field..?

EVERYONE: I know I need a very large dog, would I need more then 2? Is it possible and how hard is it to incorporaite more LGD as my flock grows?