Which Breed Is Better For Me??

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Dolly1218 said:
autumnprairie said:
Grazer said:
Btw, if you do decide to get a CO puppy, don't forget to post lots and lots of pictures! ;)
I second the pictures part.
I know that you are moving way up in Maine and Bears and others are up there too keep in mind that moose hate dogs and will stomp to death given the chance too. Are you going to have lots of neighbors or a place set off by yourself a bit? How socialized do you want your dog. Grazer has made me think twice before recommending a breed that I don't know much about and for that I thank you Grazer. Just because and animal does well in the cold over others doesn't mean it is always the best fit. I am still researching for you though
I will post pictures of everyone on the ranch, Im a pictures fein!! :p In Colorado we have a lot of deer, bears, wolves, and coyotes. I didnt know moose would go after a dog. Im going to be on about 80 acres maybe more. I am house hunting this summer, and hopefully going to move later this year or next summer. Well I want my dog(s) to be socialized, I go to the Farmers Market weekly and want to take 1 with me (rotating between each dog), plus I have family that will visit a lot, and my kids' friends when they are older, along with customers coming to my farm to pick up their milk or chicks. I know COs are territorial so maybe if I get one he can guard the house and Ill have a different breed out in the field..?

EVERYONE: I know I need a very large dog, would I need more then 2? Is it possible and how hard is it to incorporaite more LGD as my flock grows?
what about a Pyrenean Mastiff grazer noted earlier been looking at them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrenean_Mastiff

Dolly1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I read somewhere that they slobber and arent a dry mouth dog. Also that they have droopy eyes that need to be watched and taken care of regularly.. They are very pretty and large but Im a little worried about their up keep.. :idunno

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes Pyrenean Mastiffs will drool in hot weather, when they're excited or when they are around food.
But even though it says in the standard that CO's don't drool, in real life you'll notice that they do drool somewhat when it's hot or if you're eating something really tasty and you don't want to share lol
I would say that all molossers drool to some extent.

Ive never raised a live stock; so I can't say that much....But in case you haven't seen this website before.... I'd recommend it, as it has some really good information: http://www.lgd.org/
I do know that almost every farmer with a large predator problem will tell you that you need more than just 2 dogs.
You could start best with 1 male and 2 females and then take it from there.
I don't know how big your herd is going to be, but maybe you could get adult LGD's that are already proven to be effective against large predators.
Since I'm not an expert, I hope someone from this site that actually does have a lot of experience out in the field, will give you some really good tips.

As for CO's.....it sounds like you'll have a lot of people coming over to your place and as I said before they are usually very protective & territorial.
Mine started with just 6 months.
They can be quite dangerous for strangers.
There are CO's out there who'll tolerate strangers if the owner says it's ok and then there are CO's who even though they've been properly socialized will go nuts every time you have people over.
I guess it depends their lineages..
I'm sure a good CO breeder will either help you find the right puppy for your situation or advise you to get a different breed.

Dolly1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Grazer said:
Yes Pyrenean Mastiffs will drool in hot weather, when they're excited or when they are around food.
But even though it says in the standard that CO's don't drool, in real life you'll notice that they do drool somewhat when it's hot or if you're eating something really tasty and you don't want to share lol
I would say that all molossers drool to some extent.

Ive never raised a live stock; so I can't say that much....But in case you haven't seen this website before.... I'd recommend it, as it has some really good information: http://www.lgd.org/
I do know that almost every farmer with a large predator problem will tell you that you need more than just 2 dogs.
You could start best with 1 male and 2 females and then take it from there.
I don't know how big your herd is going to be, but maybe you could get adult LGD's that are already proven to be effective against large predators.
Since I'm not an expert, I hope someone from this site that actually does have a lot of experience out in the field, will give you some really good tips.

As for CO's.....it sounds like you'll have a lot of people coming over to your place and as I said before they are usually very protective & territorial.
Mine started with just 6 months.
They can be quite dangerous for strangers.
There are CO's out there who'll tolerate strangers if the owner says it's ok and then there are CO's who even though they've been properly socialized will go nuts every time you have people over.
I guess it depends their lineages..
I'm sure a good CO breeder will either help you find the right puppy for your situation or advise you to get a different breed.
Well maybe a CO isnt right for my current situation, maybe someday I will be able to get one :fl Thank you for all your advice, you were such a great help!! Ill post about my other questions (like how many dogs) and hopefully more people will answer.

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You're most welcome Dolly!
A good CO breeder is hard to find in U.S. being that it's a rare breed and all and I used to think for a while that there are no good CO breeders.
But the 2 breeders in Montana seem to know what they're doing.
I can PM you their names if you don't have it. Maybe there's a solution they can come up with for you, so you can have the breed you've always wanted to have.
I personally always tell people that if they'll have a lot of guests (and customers in your case) over and no special area to put their CO at, it's probably not the right breed for them.
I don't have children, but I've been told that CO's should not be in the same room with its owners kids and unfamiliar children, as it may attack those unfamiliar children if the game becomes too rough.
When I asked the breeder from whom I got my puppy about the interaction between his dogs and his children, he told me that his CO's are incredibly affectionate with his kids but do not obey orders from his children.
And I've heard that a lot....that's why a lot of breeders advise future CO owners not to let kids younger than 16-17 years walk their CO's.

But anyway, I think you should definitely discuss all that with the breeder of your choice and the ones in Montana seem to be good breeders.
I've never met them in person, but I did talk to them through e-mail several times.

Good luck and I hope you'll find really good LGD's, cause it really makes a huge difference!

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score