Which breed is right for me?

Lovely Lettie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Okay so I might be getting a horse in the future and I am a complete beginner and I was wondering what breed is good for a beginner it will be an used as an all rounder!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whatever the breed, get an older, been there done that, horse. Are you going to ride Western or English? Are you taking lessons? Will you ride around the neighborhood or load in a trailer and go ride somewhere?

Lovely Lettie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Whatever the breed, get an older, been there done that, horse. Are you going to ride Western or English? Are you taking lessons? Will you ride around the neighborhood or load in a trailer and go ride somewhere?
English I am taking lessons yes. Well I am moving to the country soon and I will probably ride down bridleways and down country lanes.
How old?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’d say 12 to 20 years old. Don’t be afraid of an older horse, they still have lots to give and will make great teachers. You don’t need a young hothead or one that is real spirited and high strung. They will get you hurt. If you are taking lessons, inquire at the stables you are taking lessons at. They might know of a steady safe horse for sale.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’d say 12 to 20 years old. Don’t be afraid of an older horse, they still have lots to give and will make great teachers. You don’t need a young hothead or one that is real spirited and high strung. They will get you hurt. If you are taking lessons, inquire at the stables you are taking lessons at. They might know of a steady safe horse for sale.
X2.

Often stables and trainers will know the horses that are available and looking for a new home... AND while know which ones are good for a beginner.

Do make sure the horse is fully sound... but there are plenty of older sound hordes.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
X3

Lovely Lettie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Okay thank you for the advice. It's much appreciated.

Pinewood Ridge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree with getting an older horse. I learned that the hard way many years ago.

You may even want to consider a rescue. There are plenty of rescue foundations around, just google in your area. The Humane Society gets horses, and websites like, Rescueme.org lists horses in different states for adoption. They are generally older and experienced--good teachers. I would recommend a vet check (called a pre-purchase exam), before signing on the dotted line.
Definitely find a good instructor and take lessons. Learn the basics, from the ground up. Read as much as you can. Get recommendations for a good horse vet and farrier.
Riding, "English," can cover a lot of prospects. Dressage? Hunters? Plenty of nice grade horses out there, as well as, Appendix (Thoroughbred x Quarter Horse), or a Morgan might be a good choice. There are also a ton of Arabs, but I would not recommend one for a beginner.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
🐎

Vienna_201

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree and highly recommend you recruit the aid of your instructor, assuming they have good / relevant experience that will help match a horse to your skill level. I've been working in the equine industry for more than a decade. It's a nasty place, and you can't trust anyone's word on what they're selling.

Showinggoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You can always find a horse to lease and try it out too. I know when I was taking lessons and then just bought a horse I bit off a little more then I could chew. Horses are a lot of work, so I would just make sure you are prepared. Also finding the right horse can take years so don’t rush into it, fine the right one.

Latest posts