Which breed should I get

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are looking at getting a five acres and I am trying to decises if we should get dexters or Devons ans how many an I'd I should havw a bull. It's poaaipos that we mighvgetm more land but planipla for five for sure

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, I say NO BULL, especially with those little humans you have. Second, how much hay do you want to buy? Cattle require a lot of forage and TX heat can be iffy with pasture, depending on your location. Five acres can be pretty small when you have large type livestock.

Then, what are your plans as to use of these cattle?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Meat. That's why I had picked the smaller breeds that are known for being gentle. I plan on buying some hay. I didn't really want a large breed and with dexters I could milk and have meat. And even the bulls are known for being gentle. We keep going back and forth on the ai. I figure having a bull not much different ( besides size) then having a buck with it no being allowed near the kids for danger reasons we already live on property with cows and a bull. An outside of fencing he a gentle giant doesn't mean I would allow my kids next to him .my plan would be to have him no where near the house and keep him and kid separate. No even my male goat is allowed near them since he gotten bigger. He now pushing 200-250. They only allowed near the animals when i am outside and I am the only one allowed inside the pens. The kids are(human) allowed in only if the goats are in another pen. Or are lockee in their house. The only other male animal their ever near are the birds and even then they aren't allowed I that pen. I might be obsessive when it comes to them not getting hurt. Most often rooster problems we have had I the past have bee when the bird gets out or the kids have been in a pen with
Me. Its like the be pigs I plan on getting I. Want gentle easy to handle animals but still do not plan on the kids gettong near them.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love how small the dexters are lol Oki have issues. On the property we live on(family lane) there are Charolais cows.my husband grandparents like them over other cows. Here a picture of the kind I would like. I want breeds that are easier to handle when it comes to animals that I am raising.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 203

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most Dexters are actually smaller than Devons, so you could put two momma cows on your 5 acres and not have to buy as much hay as you would with the Devons. Then you can AI them to have calves every year. Or do like my neighbors do and have someone transport the cows to a friend's bull when needed. I agree that keeping a bull is a waste of grass and a bad idea overall.

Both breeds are excellent choices for family homesteads, and both have meat and milking lines so be sure and get the right lines.

Not sure what your carrying capacity for animals usually is, around here most folks say about 1 cow + calf for every 2 acres, give or take, and it depends on grain and hay feeding, as well as time of year

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't minds feeding grain or hay .Prefer to that way they do not destroy the pasture do to lack of feed and then I know that their getting plant or nutrition. Ok so pretty much no bull and maybe two heifers at Max. This will be a while yet but I like planning

Latest posts