Which Breed??

intlgrrl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Help! I'm drowning in sheep breeds. I'm researching which sheep breeds I should consider for a first time sheep owner (I'm not purchasing anytime soon), however, being a knitter and wanting to have a fiber farm, I'm overwhelmed. And of course imagine my frustration that when I am somewhat interested in a breed, it not raised here.... *sigh. SO any suggestions would be helpful,

Thanks!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
There was a sheep person on here that had a "sheep selector" tool where you went down and selected what you wanted and it recommended which sheep breed was right for you. I can't remember who had it though... & I can't seem to locate it Grrrr. @SheepGirl ? @norseofcourse ? anyone remember or have a link?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Consider this... economically speaking , you can buy fine Marino wool yarn at your local yarn store imported from Australia for far less than what it will COST you to grow your own. Even the cost of shearing your sheep alone will cost more! :eek:

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have a few wethers, you can have several different breeds. I don't know all the breeds (or even most of them), but off the top of my head I'd check into Shetlands, Icelandic, Border or Blue-Faced Leicester, Cheviot, Babydoll, among others. Have you ever been to Lake Farm Park? I think they have a bunch of different breeds of sheep (and they sell their wool cheap). I love the look of Jacobs but don't want to deal with horns (my Icelandics are mostly polled).

Bossroo is right about wool not bringing much. If you're going to attempt to make any profit on wool, you have to tap into the specialty/handspinner market, and find wools that are marketable to that group.

Have you been to any of the sheep and wool or fiber festivals? There's a good one in May in Wooster.

intlgrrl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There was a sheep person on here that had a "sheep selector" tool where you went down and selected what you wanted and it recommended which sheep breed was right for you. I can't remember who had it though... & I can't seem to locate it Grrrr. @SheepGirl ? @norseofcourse ? anyone remember or have a link?

I took both quizzes and came back with Columbia and Tunis respectively.... sigh still not sure

intlgrrl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Consider this... economically speaking , you can buy fine Marino wool yarn at your local yarn store imported from Australia for far less than what it will COST you to grow your own. Even the cost of shearing your sheep alone will cost more! :eek:

Shearing will be a challenge, that for sure. I do plan to learn to do this though. Since I'm starting slowly, I figured this would be a good thing to learn.

intlgrrl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you have a few wethers, you can have several different breeds. I don't know all the breeds (or even most of them), but off the top of my head I'd check into Shetlands, Icelandic, Border or Blue-Faced Leicester, Cheviot, Babydoll, among others. Have you ever been to Lake Farm Park? I think they have a bunch of different breeds of sheep (and they sell their wool cheap). I love the look of Jacobs but don't want to deal with horns (my Icelandics are mostly polled).

Bossroo is right about wool not bringing much. If you're going to attempt to make any profit on wool, you have to tap into the specialty/handspinner market, and find wools that are marketable to that group.

Have you been to any of the sheep and wool or fiber festivals? There's a good one in May in Wooster.

This is true and also why I am drowning in sheep breeds... I guess I shouldn't overwhelm myself, but this has all been fascinating to learn about

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Definitely go to the great lakes fiber show in Wooster if you can. Feel a lot of wool, meet a bunch of sheep breeds and see what people are buying and selling. It's always a good learning experience and a lot of fun.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is true and also why I am drowning in sheep breeds... I guess I shouldn't overwhelm myself, but this has all been fascinating to learn about
Then don't make a hard and fast decision yet. You're developing a long range plan right now. Make a 'short list' of sheep breeds you'd like to have - even 5 or 10 'possibles' wouldn't be too many. Continue to learn and revise the list if you want, keeping notes of why you want a particular breed (or don't).

When you find your property, move in, start whatever work you'll need to get it ready for livestock, and start keeping an eye out for sheep for sale in your area, or contact breeders of the breeds you've been interested in. If you're patient, some good deals may come along - a 4H'er selling their stock to go to college; a breeder downsizing; someone deciding to switch breeds. You'll have more flexibility than if you decide now that you will only have "X" and "Y" sheep.